Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 4x ACOG dead?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Ok. I think I spoke a little too soon, and because I was trying to justify the purchase of a LPVO despite having a few ACOGs in the safe without homes.

I think the ACOG really shines as an outdoor general purpose optic. I took it from 50 to 625 and it blew away the Aimpoints. The passing of time has been kind to the acog thanks to it’s clear glass and wide FOV. I also like the integrated mount and compact size. Weight is not bad compared to most LPVOs either when factoring in an additional mount and even the eye relied isn’t terrible unless you are in an unconventional shooting position.

I take it all back and continue to love the cog. I will keep using them for all rifles that won’t be what is first up to be grabbed during a home invasion.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-24-19 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Euro, what about the wash out problem you mentioned in the first post? Not so bad compared to the pluses, or just don’t encounter that situation much?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Euro, what about the wash out problem you mentioned in the first post? Not so bad compared to the pluses, or just don’t encounter that situation much?
    Yeah I’ve just never encountered a situation in America where I’ve been outside in the dark and needed to shoot someone with an AR15 while they were inside a well lit building lol

To be frank you could have ended that thought at “AR15” and it would have been just as accurate.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    My TA31 is my least favorite optic. That being said, I know it will survive the next zombie apocalypse so I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it. Last week I did come very close to bringing home a brand new Steiner T5x 1-5. The pluses (glass clarity, reticle, true 1x red dot capability, value for money) outweighed the minuses (weight), so I think a low power scope is definitely in my future.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
    The 3.5x is far more forgiving.
    There is also a 3.2x version I saw and looked at just last week at my local fun store.

Mount an RMR stop it and maintain your cheek weld and roll the carbine to place the red dot into your opposite eye.

Expensive once you’re done, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    . I have one 4X and two 3.5X and very much prefer the 3.5X for eye relief reasons alone. I too think the LPVO are putting a beatdown to the ACOG line. I have a Burris 1-8 with RDS on the cant which is pretty nice. I really like the NXS 1-8 and is more than an ACOG but not by a huge margin. I even bought some cheap holiday sale 1-6 from primary arms that dont suck for plinking.

I really liked my 4X ACOG with RDS on top even though many feel is way too much offset, but makes hitting center shots inside 50 yards a breeze. I regret pulling it and selling it.

PB
    Just roll the carbine and place the RMR into your opposite/non-dominant eye. Keep your cheek weld.

"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    ACOGs are 95% dead, they were good while they lasted but it’s time to move on.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My 19D kid just took my TA01NSN. The infantry guy he's training with sights down the rifle/handguard while room clearing so he wasn't concerned with 4x and my son doesn't care for the chevron reticle. We'll see how that works out...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think they are dead mainly die to the eye relief. I can't imagine a scenario where a 3.5x ACOG wouldn't be better. The FOV is still big, and the eye relief is so much better.

I also have a TR-24 with the green triangle, and while it lacks ranging capability, is amazingly capable as a CQB optic despite also having magnification for further out. The eyebox is HUGE and I have run CQB drills with it and it is just as fast as a red-dot.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    ACOGs are obsolescent not obsolete. This isnt hard to figure out, put both on the clock and see what shakes out. Just looking back at my objective data from the late 2000's early 2010's, I came to some conclusions. Even the early LPVOs like the accupoint outperformed even the most forgiving ACOG, the TA11, in transition fire variable distance shooting from 7-300 yards. Also the TA31 was absolute dog shit for anything but static position shooting. Accupoint > TA11 > TA33 > TA31 in terms of speed at all ranges. With the new gen LVPOs I bet the disparity is even bigger.

In case you didnt know the difference between obsolescent and obsolete.

"Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. Obsolescence frequently occurs because a replacement has become available that has, in sum, more advantages compared to the disadvantages. obsolescence is typically preceded by a gradual decline in popularity.

Obsolete refers to something that is already disused or discarded, or antiquated."

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    The only ACOG I've ever been able to like is the TA33 3x30 one. I really wanted to actually love it and not simply like it, but I just can't. The magnification is a little too much for shooting within say 50 yards. I think the reticle is a little too "busy" although I get it that you have to have that for range estimation and longer range shooting.

For a non-powered sight I prefer the 1x Meprolight M21 with triangle reticle, but ultimately my "druthers" have gravitated back to a miniature red dot.

I just like the crisp, small, non-busy reticle and the lighter weight of the optic.

I email Trijicon every few months telling them they need to make a fiber optic/Tritium red dot with unlimited eye relief in 1x the size of an MRO or Aimpoint T1. We'll see if I eventually get it.
    They tried it, it was called the Tripower and it sucked ass. Im sure you can find one on the used market if you looked hard enough.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 03-21-19 at 18:25.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast