Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The illusive CD O.W.L. (1 of 2) finally arrived!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good summary above.

Though I don't own one, it's obvious the O.W.L. is a superbly designed and constructed light, but unless you need a high-powered WML for every day use, it's a lot of weight to be living at the end of the rail.

At a weight of exactly 3.2 ounces, you can get set up with a Malkoff head on an Arisaka 300 clone body that will produce 750 lumens/20,000 lux on a single IMR 16340 cell;

wml-1.jpg

The other route one can go - and the one I personally prefer - is to use something like a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 hand-held (1,000 lumens/29,000 lux) with a QD mount. I like the ability to quickly mount/dismount the light, attaching it only when needed and detaching when I want to use the light hand held.

I store the rifle with the light attached. When pulled out of the safe for use, I detach the light if it's not going to be needed (range session, daytime match, etc.), which for me is 99% of the time. It takes about five seconds to detach, maybe ten to attach. Of course, as with all Malkoff products, the light is superbly constructed and is a very capable hand-held light that fits in a coat pocket or a kydex holster;

wml-5.jpg

Here is a reasonably accurate size comparison to the O.W.L. (both weigh 11.2 ounces);

wml-10.jpg

I'm looking at upgrading to a Malkoff Hound Dog Super head (1,700 lumens/75,000 lux) and running it on the same body with a pair of IMR 18350 1200 mAh cells that will provide about 20 minutes of full output runtime and about 5 hours of runtime on low (a very useable 80 lumens).

I like my carbine slim 'n trim, the less "stuff" attached to it the better. The ability to easily & quickly attach a powerful light only when needed has a lot of appeal to me.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    While all of that is interesting, it is the activation switch that had my interest on the OWL.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Good summary above.

Though I don't own one, it's obvious the O.W.L. is a superbly designed and constructed light, but unless you need a high-powered WML for every day use, it's a lot of weight to be living at the end of the rail.
    @canonshooter - Thank you for clearly articulating exactly what I was trying to say.

I'm actually a big fan Gene's stuff as well. I use one of his MDC's as my daily carry light. (I guess I generally like smaller, innovative companies over the bigger names).

Unfortunately, in my experience with his weapon mounted solutions (Arisaka bodies + Malkoff heads and tailcaps) the lights would flicker on/off during recoil, and sometimes just by letting the bolt release forward.
    Last edited by boomer223; 02-22-19 at 13:06.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4t5acp@gmail.com View Post
    Unfortunately, in my experience with his weapon mounted solutions (Arisaka bodies + Malkoff heads and tailcaps) the lights would flicker on/off during recoil, and sometimes just by letting the bolt release forward.
    This is due to the cell not being held securely enough between the springs. The fix is to (1) stretch the head and tailcap springs a touch and (2) place an O-ring on both ends of the cell (especially up front) to keep it from shifting under recoil. An easy test is with the light turned on, shake it hard fore-and-aft. If it flickers the cell is loosing contact with the springs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    This is due to the cell not being held securely enough between the springs.
    You’ve definitely peaked my interest (dammit all). Now I have to find someone who actually has this stuff in stock...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was unaware of the light's existence, so thanks for posting about it. Can you explain how the pressure switch is used to select between momentary and constant operation? Did you run into the situation of accidentally activating constant on when you only wanted momentary operation?

The design with the head and tailcap interfaces being the same is something that should have been implemented years ago. Being able to place the pressure switch at 12:00 with the head offset is a solid idea. It's too bad they couldn't implement it without incurring unacceptable weight in the process.

I mostly run Arisaka 300 and 600 series lights (with their mounts) set up in the highest position. It places the tailcap exactly where it needs to be for activation, while still being accessible when shooting from my offhand shoulder.

Getting 50,000 lux is quite good considering the size. I've played around with an 18650 Hound Dog on a 308 AR but the weight and size only make it practical if I know I'll NEED the light's capabilities. My high lux
    solution is currently a Malkoff MD2 with M61HOT head. I have a significant upgrade planned within the next few months, but this works pretty well so far.

Gene sells the battery bumper kits for $4, and I've got a few of them. The product page states they're sized for the MD series bodies, but they do fit around the E-Series head's spring to keep the cell from moving forward from recoil.
    Last edited by grizzman; 02-17-19 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I was unaware of the light's existence, so thanks for posting about it. Can you explain how the pressure switch is used to select between momentary and constant operation? Did you run into the situation of accidentally activating constant on when you only wanted momentary operation?
    Momentary - simply press down anywhere on the pad.

Constant - quick press and release, then again to turn it back off.

I'm assuming you could accidentally click it to constant on, but I didn't during my evaluation.

More info - https://clouddefensive.com/optimized-weapon-light/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I have a significant upgrade planned within the next few months...
    Care to share what you're planning?

I remain intrigued with a HD Super on a MD2 body fueled with a pair of IMR 18350 1200 mAh cells. For use with my fixed 2.2X optic, the tight beam should be ideal. Of course since the light won't live on the rifle, the size and weight are not objectionable to me - and a HD/MD2 combo fits nicely in a coat pocket. :-)

Interpolating this graph it looks like about 20 minutes of runtime on high and about five hours on low (not too shabby considering the output)…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It'll be an Eagletac S200C2vn (heavily modified by a CandlePower Forum member).

I've never screwed the Hound Dog Super head onto an MD body that's attached to a rifle....but I could.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been thinking about this for my MCX pistol, subbing for more information.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast