Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aero precision lower issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an AR with an Aero lower as well, no issues. Maybe just a lemon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnXDm View Post
    I have built 10 AR's, 9 of them using Aero Precision receivers. They're all made by CNC machines using the same computerized program with the same dimensions. Can't see how a few could be out of spec.

I have not had a single problem with any of mine.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/manufacturing-and-oem
    This ^^^ Although I have only done 5 builds.

kwg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    It is because these components move from machine station to machine station and are set in their jigs by human hands that you will have dimensional variations. In the end it comes down to someone being on ball with the dimensional inspections with a +/- blueprint to check against.

Feedback Score
    Many years ago I was having a similar problem with an off brand lower. What I did was clipped a few coils off the bolt catch spring. Works flawlessly to this day.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 498cm3; 02-19-19 at 19:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not impressed with the customer service at aero precision. Their goal was clearly not to help a customer resolve a problem with their product. It seems their goal was to rule out their product being the problem and dump it back on the customer. There was obviously a lack of motivation for them to try to duplicate the problems I was having. That should have been the first step in diagnosing the problem...duplicating it, then you can isolate probable causes. That's what I did before I mailed it in. Instead they put a bolt catch in and tried 2 magazines and called it good. Would I have really went through the trouble of stripping the lower and mailing it to them if there was NO problem?....or if I knew they'd do such a poor, halfway, job in looking at it? They offer no explanation on why identical bolt catches and magazines installed on a different lower all function properly, but the same bolt catch and magazines produce different results in the aero lower. The customer is just an idiot...that's essentially their response??? It's really not difficult to reproduce the malfunction I am seeing. The slightest bit of curiosity and effort from aero precision would have produced the same problems I was seeing. I tested about 30 magazines. It's unlikely a magazine issue.

I'm sure most of aero's products are fine and have no issues. All companies produce a lemon from time to time. While aero may make quality products, the way aero deals with it's lemons shows the quality of the company.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The problem is you are talking about a $60 lower. They manufacture. They are not our personal gunsmiths. They can't be expected to replace every lower that comes across their desk although that would be the most cost effective method.

You were the guy that took the hit but in general Aero turns out tons of quality / price point gear.

Not to mention, trouble shooting random failures is a thankless job. Aero doesn't know who you are, they don't know if you are mistaken, they have a FFL item, they have a business to run. If someone gets on the Internet and says Aero replaced my lower that I never fully diagnosed then it's open season on Aero for everyone's issue.

Now if others begin to have a similar problem to yours then Aero will have a problem. You have had a problem, made it known, it's searchable, but as of now it's a one off. It sucks to be the guy that gets the one in a million, but it happens.

So what exactly happened? Do you have your lower back? "It seems their goal was to rule out their product being the problem and dump it back on the customer." That's what they are supposed to do. They are not our personal gunsmiths. Did you send them a combination of bolt catch, roll pin, magazines so they could re-create the problem with multiple varied components? Did you make a YouTube video showing them how you re-created the problem with multiple components? If you can build an AR and post on the Internet you could certainly provide them with that important information. In fact, when you get it back, I would suggest you do just that. Make a very clear video, use multiple components that fail, post it here. Maybe someone will see something and then you may have to go back to to Aero with that additional info. You are the gunsmith... not them.

Feedback Score
    I have seen this with many brands of lowers, mostly more budget minded ones, but from time to time it happens on more respected brands.

Since Aero won't help, my advice would be to buy a 9mm AR Bolt Catch and cut the engagement tab down to fit this out of spec lower.

FWIW, I don't like Aero products at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    tb-av WOW...Really? Your post is so full of logical fallacies and strawmen I don't know where to start. The point of your post seems to be that I got a lemon but because aero is a manufacturer and it only cost $60 they aren't responsible for their products, and they make good stuff, just not mine, so I should eat it...and their justified in telling me that just cuz. Huh.

The problem is you are talking about a $60 lower.
    That's irrelevant to whether the lower is in spec, and if they are responsible to fix their mistakes

They manufacture.
    Irrelevant, see above

They are not our personal gunsmiths.
    Strawman. I never asked them to be gunsmiths. In fact I did all the work for them. I tested all the relevant parts. I tested them against known in spec parts. I sent them photos and measurements of my findings

They can't be expected to replace every lower that comes across their desk although that would be the most cost effective method.
    Strawman. No one expects them to replace every lower, just the defective ones, like mine. Also being cost effective is irrelevant to whether my lower is in spec and if they are responsible for their lemons

You were the guy that took the hit but in general Aero turns out tons of quality / price point gear.
    I agree and said this in my post, but it's irrelevant to whether my lower is in spec and if they are responsible for their mistakes

Not to mention, trouble shooting random failures is a thankless job.
    Makes sense...the job is hard so customers just have to pay for defective products....cuz the job is thankless...sound right to me

Aero doesn't know who you are, they don't know if you are mistaken, they have a FFL item, they have a business to run. If someone gets on the Internet and says Aero replaced my lower that I never fully diagnosed then it's open season on Aero for everyone's issue.
    Strawman. No one expects aero to willy nilly send out new lowers to everyone who complains. I'm not arguing that or asking that. Also I did fully diagnose it.

Now if others begin to have a similar problem to yours then Aero will have a problem.
    So a company only has to replace defective items if they sell a lot of items that are defective? So if you buy a washing machine and it doesn't work, whirlpool shouldn't replace it unless lots of people get washers that don't work...ok got it.

You have had a problem, made it known, it's searchable, but as of now it's a one off.
    See above. Being a "one off" is irrelevant to whether aero is responsible for replacing defective products or the customer is expected to eat the cost.

It sucks to be the guy that gets the one in a million, but it happens.
    I agree, it happens and it sucks. It sucks when companies act poorly and do not stand behind their products and tell customers to go pound sand...that's the point.

So what exactly happened? Do you have your lower back? "It seems their goal was to rule out their product being the problem and dump it back on the customer." That's what they are supposed to do.
    Wow...I mean wow. You think a company's job is to dump faulty products back on the customer. I don't need to comment on that statement. It sums up your position pretty well.

They are not our personal gunsmiths.
    Strawman. No one is asking them to be my personal gunsmith. I did all the "gunsmithing" for them. They did have to confirm my findings though. This is the issue though....they had no interest in confirming my findings and discovering the lower was the problem

Did you send them a combination of bolt catch, roll pin, magazines so they could re-create the problem with multiple varied components?
    They asked me to send them the lower stripped, so I did. I sent pics, measurements, and emails detailing my procedure and findings.

Did you make a YouTube video showing them how you re-created the problem with multiple components? If you can build an AR and post on the Internet you could certainly provide them with that important information.
    No I did not make a video. The pictures and detailed emails, and phone calls and measurements should be enough.

In fact, when you get it back, I would suggest you do just that. Make a very clear video, use multiple components that fail, post it here. Maybe someone will see something and then you may have to go back to to Aero with that additional info. You are the gunsmith... not them.
    As stated before, they have all the information. I did all the work, and showed them the work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I have seen this with many brands of lowers, mostly more budget minded ones, but from time to time it happens on more respected brands.

Since Aero won't help, my advice would be to buy a 9mm AR Bolt Catch and cut the engagement tab down to fit this out of spec lower.

FWIW, I don't like Aero products at all.
    This is a GREAT idea. I don't have any experience with 9mm ARs so wasn't aware of the difference in bolt catches. I just looked up images of 9mm bolt catches and I'm pretty sure that's going to work perfect. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    tb-av WOW...Really? Your post is so full of logical fallacies and strawmen I don't know where to start.
    No problem. Let me know when you get your desired results doing it your way.

The $60 part you have misunderstood. None of which matters. Your mind is set. Good luck. Or should I say, sorry for the bad luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast