Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Leatham & Jason Burton 1911 class

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    The class was sold out. Are they going to squeeze you in ?

I hope they can.
    PB
    I had a spot, but I’m not getting back until the afternoon of the 12th at the earliest. So I would miss the whole first day.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A few years back I did a class here in Phoenix with Vickers and Leatham as instructors. Burton was also in attendance. It was Yin and Yang with LAV's all business style and Leatham yukking it up. Even with their differences in style, there was great respect between them.

Leatham will gore a few sacred cows while you are there. He breaks some of the "rules" very effectively and for good reasons (not safety rules). Have an open mind and listen to what the man is saying.

I have not been instructed by Burton, but I have shot against him in a dueling tree shootoff and he eliminated me quite nicely. He can build a gun AND can shoot. Very approachable and open person. I expect he will be a good teacher.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 04-09-19 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    So I know its an older thread, but I was curious about how the class went?

Anymore classes coming up?

Where to sign up?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post

Where to sign up?
    No more of these classes this year is the info I got.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post

Where to sign up?
    Class was decent. We were told a min of 1,500 rounds so everybody brought 2,000. Most peeps flew in. So they were stuck with about 500-1,000 rounds leftover depending on how much they shot between lessons.

Leatham was very approachable and very eager to help which impressed me. My only suggestion would be, he would go onto a private lesson and the hold the entire class up when Burton could have kept the drills rolling. He likes to shoot and he likes to talk and he did quite a bit of both.

Burton was awesome in the classroom and yes he can shoot too. Super helpful.

I think the class was a one off, no scheduled future events. I would think they would hold another in years to come but not months to come.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Class was decent. We were told a min of 1,500 rounds so everybody brought 2,000. Most peeps flew in. So they were stuck with about 500-1,000 rounds leftover depending on how much they shot between lessons.

Leatham was very approachable and very eager to help which impressed me. My only suggestion would be, he would go onto a private lesson and the hold the entire class up when Burton could have kept the drills rolling. He likes to shoot and he likes to talk and he did quite a bit of both.

Burton was awesome in the classroom and yes he can shoot too. Super helpful.

I think the class was a one off, no scheduled future events. I would think they would hold another in years to come but not months to come.

PB
    Very nice insights, thank you. Human, no hero-worship, but not derogatory.

Both men have a great deal to learn from, but from my extremely limited experience with Mr. Leatham, I can see exactly what you are describe. The flip side, is to be "that" student - what an experience.

I believe Mr. Burton to be a very good shot, and working with Clint Smith, he has the makings of a good instructor, but can't help but believe his time would be more valuable in letting students into the intricate magic of the 1911. But, that's me. He's going to do what he damn well pleases, exactly as a free society should be.

Now, a two (or more) day class, with time broken between the two, as opposed to shared, well, that would be some fine learning!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pappabear – thanks for the feedback and coming to the class!

A BIG thanks is owed to all who attended and helped make this class possible. Rob and I are already discussing the next one as well as ways to make it better for the attendees both on the range and in the classroom. Rob and I are big-time devotees of the 1911 (shocking right?? ) and we want to offer more of these courses to do our part in keeping the 1911 magic alive.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
    Pappabear – thanks for the feedback and coming to the class!

A BIG thanks is owed to all who attended and helped make this class possible. Rob and I are already discussing the next one as well as ways to make it better for the attendees both on the range and in the classroom. Rob and I are big-time devotees of the 1911 (shocking right?? ) and we want to offer more of these courses to do our part in keeping the 1911 magic alive.
    My pleasure, best of luck with future classes.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12