Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    13629 is their cage code, and going forward that is the proof mark they will be using instead of the "C" we've been accustomed to (at least on their receivers and barrels). A Colt customer service rep told me they no longer "C" stamp their bcgs. He wouldn't give any further detail on manufacturing processes, and I didn't feel like pressing him on the issue.
    It would be nice to know why they keep changing their marking methods. I realize casting "13629" into the upper is cheaper than paying someone to stamp a "C" or engrave it by hand.

The thing is: Does that save them enough money to compensate for the doubts they are creating about the gun's quality?

Feedback Score
    For what it’s worth my 2016 Had “ C” marks everywhere but the barrel which had a cage code.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    It would be nice to know why they keep changing their marking methods. I realize casting "13629" into the upper is cheaper than paying someone to stamp a "C" or engrave it by hand.

The thing is: Does that save them enough money to compensate for the doubts they are creating about the gun's quality?
    From what I've heard, (and I hope somebody can confirm this) is that it is a new requirement for a govt. contract for them to use their cage code to mark their receivers and barrels. I believe I remember hearing Chris Bartocci say this in one of his live Q&A sessions on YouTube. Once again, I'm not 100% sure on this so hopefully somebody else here can confirm.

Feedback Score
    From what I've heard, (and I hope somebody can confirm this) is that it is a new requirement for a govt. contract for them to use their cage code to mark their receivers and barrels. I believe I remember hearing Chris Bartocci say this in one of his live Q&A sessions on YouTube. Once again, I'm not 100% sure on this so hopefully somebody else here can confirm.
    I don't doubt that you're correct, but according to another post in this thread they're also discontinuing the cage code markings. So WTF?

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I don't doubt that you're correct, but according to another post in this thread they're also discontinuing the cage code markings. So WTF?
    Who knows... It wouldn't surprise me if they're changing things up again given their financial troubles. For the time being, I will continue buying Colt parts from Brownell's or G&R. If in some future day their parts become total crap (which I doubt) I will probably source my parts from Geissele and BCM, as I suspect they use the same supplier for their small parts as Colt (which I believe is Schmidt Tool).

Feedback Score
    So here's the $64,000 question: what do the weapons Colt sells to the U.S. military have for markings?

My two most recent Colts (a 6920 OEM-2 and a 2018 SOCOM) are marked "Colt's Defense" on the lower. Neither bolt carrier has a "C" mark but both bolts are MPC marked. Both barrels are marked 13629, the OEM-2 has 13629 on the upper, and the 2018 SOCOM has the key forge mark on the upper.

Where I'm going with this is with both lowers marked "Colt's Defense" I make the assumption that all parts are "Colt's Defense" parts (obviously minus the FCG and FA markings). Is the military getting Colt M4's with no "C" mark on the carrier? How about the MPC marking on the bolt itself? 13629 on the other parts too?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 02-19-19 at 18:16.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So here's the $64,000 question: what do the weapons Colt sells to the U.S. military have for markings?
    This is ALL speculation on my part, but I think .Gov requires certain components to have the appropriate markings.

My GUESS is that current contracts require the use of the cage code instead the 'C' marking.

I have seen 6920's with cage coded uppers, barrels, charging handles and even extractors. There are photos around of FN military rifles using cage code uppers and barrels also.

As far as BCG's, no clue. I have only seen 'C' marked carriers and 'MPC' marked bolts. You would think that since all other markings are using the cage code now, you'd see BCG's following suit, but I have yet to see one. Again, I have seen '13629' marked extractors, but that is it.

The only photo I've seen of a current .mil FN M4A1 BCG had 'f1' laser etched on the carrier, and I believe the bolt was still marked MPF. Again, what that means for the current military Colt BCG markings, no clue.
    Last edited by phixion; 02-19-19 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought a SOCOM 14.5 upper from Grant last June that’s marked. “C” stamp on the upper and 13629 M P on the barrel.

So, basically what we’re left with is that, from a functional standpoint at least, these new markings or lack thereof do not necessarily indicate a drop in quality, and even if they did it’s probably too early to tell at this point.

So buy a Colt or a “Coit” (couldn’t resist), ignore the scratches and mismatched anodizing, and shoot the piss out of it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Colt must mark the cage code on the upper and barrel for government contracts. FN already does this.

We are discussing recent commercial guns in the past month that have shipped with no Colt markings on the upper receiver.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Colt must mark the cage code on the upper and barrel for government contracts. FN already does this.

We are discussing recent commercial guns in the past month that have shipped with no Colt markings on the upper receiver.
    I have a recent Colt Trooper that has no Colt marking on the upper, but the barrel, lower, and carrier are.

Shoots great. It's a Colt, bought new in box. Or maybe some Cloner broke into the distributor and swapped out the original upper...

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast