Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

Feedback Score
    https://www.cerrofabricated.com/ is in my AO and they make upper and lower receivers that get shipped to Hartford CT.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you like your Colt, you can keep your Colt.

I'm just not a fanboy. Except for LMT and KAC.

I briefly joygasmed and wanted their XM177E2 clone (yep, clone) but then I sobered up. SR-15 money for a my little pony rollmark on something you can get for way cheaper from Brownells. That Blind Patton Oswalt looking kid on YouTube basically did a run down of it and it was so halfassed and gay. Limited edition my ass.

Get what you want but don't pay the premium

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    No. Facts. I dont own a motorcycle so I dont have emotional investment.

Most industries are moving towards outsourcing parts and controlling end products quality. Its the basis for the success of large automotive manufacturers and aerospace. Its trickling down to smaller products.

This stuff cracks me up.
    I agree, should have put a smiley on my response. Mistwolf posted about Harley's leaking and my response about manufacturing technology was tongue-in-check geared towards that - Harley realized their market was aging (like me) and got rid of the vibration and leaking.

I readily admit why I have a Street Glide - I like it's looks. Plus, I love riding behind a fairing versus a windshield or full-face helmet.

As for the rest, I guess most folks don't think about that stuff, rather they listen to the crowd.

Way, way, back when I was in college (late 70's early 80's) in one of my business classes we did case studies on different inventory control methods and their attributes. When we looked at Japanese automakers in particular, it was interesting to find the clusters of smaller manufacturing plants around the larger plant, turning out parts and sub-assemblies for just-in-time delivery. When we discussed the aerospace industry in Wichita (it was bigger then) when found the same thing, although the coordination of JIT delivery of smaller parts seemed to be less precise than the Japanese model we had looked at. Point being, that was the first time I had really ever thought about the fact that Ford or Chevy didn't make every part that went into their vehicles.

Yep, some things about this place crack me up, also. Probably different for each of us.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    It has been pointed out that many quality manufacturers source components from similar places. For company’s like BCM for example, I think many are fine with that knowing BCM has taken on the QC themselves.
    If you've perused the threads for the last couple weeks, there have been some reported problems with BCM bolts. Not necessarily slamming BCM, just pointing out - shit slips through.

Which is one of the reasons I'm comfortable buying BCG's made of proper materials at lower prices and QC'ing them myself.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    The amount of posts by people who think their Colts turned to crap over night, despite the lack of any performance issues is comical.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Stag Arms went through (or is still going through?) a dust-up when it was revealed that their "enhanced charging handle" was made partly or entirely in China. Makes you wonder how many Chinese-sourced parts have found their way into many of the AR brands.

Several foreign made parts in aftermarket AR-15s
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE Flyer View Post
    This is devastating for those in the business of parting out Colt uppers and complete rifles as it's now impossible to prove the provenance of the parts as genuine Colt to prospective customers.

Exactly.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Exactly.
    Good. Now maybe dealers won't buy up all the SOCOMs and other Colts just to take them apart and sell the parts at marked up prices. Win for those of us who buy complete rifles.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 02-16-19 at 18:05.

Feedback Score
    Thats pretty much what the big brands do and in some cases if you can buy direct from the same OEM manufacturers and eliminate the middle man cost and also save by buying only the parts want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I agree, should have put a smiley on my response. Mistwolf posted about Harley's leaking and my response about manufacturing technology was tongue-in-check geared towards that - Harley realized their market was aging (like me) and got rid of the vibration and leaking.

I readily admit why I have a Street Glide - I like it's looks. Plus, I love riding behind a fairing versus a windshield or full-face helmet.

As for the rest, I guess most folks don't think about that stuff, rather they listen to the crowd.

Way, way, back when I was in college (late 70's early 80's) in one of my business classes we did case studies on different inventory control methods and their attributes. When we looked at Japanese automakers in particular, it was interesting to find the clusters of smaller manufacturing plants around the larger plant, turning out parts and sub-assemblies for just-in-time delivery. When we discussed the aerospace industry in Wichita (it was bigger then) when found the same thing, although the coordination of JIT delivery of smaller parts seemed to be less precise than the Japanese model we had looked at. Point being, that was the first time I had really ever thought about the fact that Ford or Chevy didn't make every part that went into their vehicles.

Yep, some things about this place crack me up, also. Probably different for each of us.
    Sorry I missed the intent. Nothing wrong with HD bikes, I know a few people who have and love them, and they seem to perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I have seen this stated many times but never seen any actual proof that it's true. Further, in some cases, take Palmetto FN marked barrels-actual FN logo marked barrels, I think it's a crock. There is no way FN puts their roll mark on a "second" and let's it out the door, no way.
    Its a very real possibility as thats how most manufactures operate. Its not "seconds" if it adheres to one customer's spec and not another.
    statistical process control is a common thing these days. Different specs dont necessarily mean worse quality - how do we know Noveske's FN barrels arent the "seconds" (your term)?

at the end of the day, quality is #defects per units produced - thats all I really care about, so until we see a rash of poor-functioning guns from colt - my opinion of them is un-changed... regardless of where they source parts.

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast