Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Another concern is that they reduced their warranty to one year
    I purchased my 6920 back in 2010, and it was one year warranty back then. So nothing new in that sense.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    You crack me up man, been rolling through here like a FNG wanking about needing 'the best most reliable rifle' and then you're waxing poetic like you know what's what. Give me a break holmes, seriously. Sit back a read awhile before opening your mouth and removing all doubt that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Just because I was looking for something superior doesn't mean I thought Colts weren't a quality rifle.

“Waxing poetically?” My only point was that $800 is a reasonable price for the rifle you get.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 02-17-19 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I don't follow this stuff too closely, really not at all, but isn't this old news? A year ago it was reported that Colt was being sued by labor unions for violating a labor compact by outsourcing all manufacturing of major rifle components, including the two most significant parts -- bolts and barrels -- to outside vendors, court documents said.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/arti...ourcing-breach
    Thanks for the link!
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Just because I was looking for something superior doesn't mean I thought Colts weren't a quality rifle.

“Waxing poetically?” My only point was that $800 is a reasonable price for the rifle you get.
    From one noob to another: Rhino is right, you’re as cherry as I am - and I am an oldster.

Lecturing the Old Hands is a foolish move.

That’s all I’m gonna’ say.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    From one noob to another: Rhino is right, you’re as cherry as I am - and I am an oldster.
    Lecturing the Old Hands is a foolish move.
    That’s all I’m gonna’ say.
    I always remember that, in the end, this is still the just the internet.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    This mindset cracks me up. It’s a $900 gun. It’s not a super complex widget, a G650 jet, or a new car. Although I’m fully aware some gun manufacturers offer a long term/lifetime warranty, I don’t get it. When my vehicle warranty expires, well, I know what I might be in for. Part of owning something mechanical.

If you don’t know in a year if your complex AR-15 doesn’t work or is causing problems, not sure what to tell you. And, for the most part, they are fairly easy to troubleshoot. Yes, there are always exceptions.

For comparison, I don’t believe BCM offers any standard term warranty. That said, they went out of their way to assist me with a wonky BCG issue I could not fix, and they were even stumped. But I digress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seems the the change in warranty coincides with production changes at Colt which may or may not indicate anything, but the coincidence raises an eyebrow.

Several gun manufacturers offer lifetime warranties. The price of the gun is meaningless. If the quality of any product is high enough that the rate of repair is very low, than offering a lifetime warranty is probably a net positive. The warranty should theoretically generate far more sales from consumer confidence than claims.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Seems the the change in warranty coincides with production changes at Colt which may or may not indicate anything, but the coincidence raises an eyebrow.

Several gun manufacturers offer lifetime warranties. The price of the gun is meaningless. If the quality of any product is high enough that the rate of repair is very low, than offering a lifetime warranty is probably a net positive. The warranty should theoretically generate far more sales from consumer confidence than claims.
    As odd as that sounds, there are people who look at warranty before anything else. I have had people come to me and ask about purchasing a particular firearm and upon my recommendation proceed to bring up certain brands that weren't even mentioned for no other reason than the warranty terms offered.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    A lifetime warranty to me means they are charging more that the actual value so they can fix it or replace it when it breaks and still make money. Sort of like Snap On tools, good tool but not worth the premium price.

Feedback Score
    I've known this for a while now and made quite a stir with a few fanboys.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    A lifetime warranty to me means they are charging more that the actual value so they can fix it or replace it when it breaks and still make money. Sort of like Snap On tools, good tool but not worth the premium price.
    SnapOn tools sell almost exclusively to the commercial market and their products are exposed to very hard use. Craftsman also had a lifetime warranty but were way cheaper. Their products are sold mostly to regular folks and had a much lower probability of warranty claims
    The average Colt customer is more like a Craftsman customer than a Snap On customer. I would think there was plenty of margin built in to cover the small amount of warranty claims. Other manufacturers with lower prices and sometimes inferior products offer lifetime warranties.

The timing of the change is interesting
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast