Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

Feedback Score
    When I worked in law enforcement I got to observe some of the procurement process for buying new agency weapons. It was common knowledge that Colt was always high on the list of potential suppliers due to their reputation and history of selling to the military, etc. In other words, their quality was a known quantity.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect Colt still commands a large chunk of the law enforcement market. If Colt's quality took a nosedive and it affected performance or durability I guarantee that the agency I worked for would look elsewhere when it came time to rotate their weapons inventory. I know agencies do buy other brands, so there is some competition. I think it's logical therefore that Colt would be nuts to start skimping on their overall quality if they hope to keep law enforcement sales.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-18-19 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    Presumably Colt still gets a lot of military (to include FMS) contracts. Those weapons still have to pass the specified durability and accuracy tests (or whatever the contract requires). Contracts are way out of my lane, but I'm guessing that Colt can use non-Colt parts as long as specifications are met?

Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    I purchased my 6920 back in 2010, and it was one year warranty back then. So nothing new in that sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Seems the the change in warranty coincides with production changes at Colt which may or may not indicate anything, but the coincidence raises an eyebrow...
    Apparently Colt has had a one year warranty for nine years so what "change in warranty" are you talking about?

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Their customer service department told me in December that my 2016 vintage 6920 preceded their “change in warranty policy” so they covered replacing my out of spec lower (still waiting on that BTW, but I spoke to them Thursday). So I assumed the change happened after or maybe I misunderstood what he meant
    Last edited by OldState; 02-18-19 at 11:50.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Their customer service department told me in December that my 2016 vintage 6920 preceded their “change in warranty policy” so they covered replacing my out of spec lower (still waiting on that BTW, but I spoke to them Thursday). So I assumed the change happened after or maybe I misunderstood what he meant
    Maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Iirc Colt had a 1 year warranty during the reign of "The List" I remember from the 2008 era on here.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Maybe the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.
    Virtually every manufacturing plant is like this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Because people will continue to move toward KAC and LMT.

Colt loses market share by the day. Removing their OEM markings from parts is another stupid decision in a long line of stupid decisions. It will cost them more sales then they will ever save.

I bought three SR-15s in the past 18 months. I knew this shit was coming when they removed the C from the carriers. I don’t see myself ever buying or building anymore Colt rifles. I have every collectible Colt rifle. Their modern fighting/duty rifles are pathetic.
    Does this mean you are getting out of the parting out Colt rifles business and switching over to parting out KAC rifles?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE Flyer View Post
    Does this mean you are getting out of the parting out Colt rifles business and switching over to parting out KAC rifles?

I doubt it.

However I have gotten about 20 emails from various people pissed about this change.
    Last edited by scottryan; 02-18-19 at 13:32.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A KAC upper receiver has KAC markings on it in two or three different places; depending on what era it was from and what rifle model it was to be installed on.

There is no confusion about the provenance of these parts.

LMT also does likewise with markings on their upper receivers.

LMT bolt carrier groups are machined a certain way which makes them easy to spot from other no-name brands.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast