Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noveske Light Recce Basic?

Feedback Score

Noveske Light Recce Basic?

I'm going to be purchasing my second AR15 and a friend of mine who's an FFL has a new Noveske Light Recce Basic that he'd sell to me at dealer price. It's got the fixed FSB, midlength gas, and 16" barrel. I prefer a basic look. How do Noveskes stack up these days? From the threads I've been reading Noveske seems widely considered to be "overgassed". Is this true, and what functional problems could this cause? Are there any other caveats with the Noveske that I should be aware of? I'm trying to get a top-tier AR. Thanks.

ETA: Another rifle he has that has caught my eye is an LMT SPM16. It's a more basic carbine but like I said, I prefer basic with top-tier quality. From the threads I've read on here, their FSBs are pinned with straight pins, they use a semi-auto BCG, and a carbine buffer. Some here have said it's corner cutting. How do the straight pins stack up to the taper pins for drilled/pinned FSBs?
    Last edited by CajunCourier; 02-15-19 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the upper receiver group of what you described and mated it to a Noveske Gen II lower receiver with parts that I spec'd out to help me manipulate the rifle from either side, along with a Geissele SSA trigger. I also shaved off the FSB so I could add a free float hand guard. I finally got around to getting a Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6 x 24 scope with a Bobro Extended QD mount to help me see what I want to hit! It's my version of a RECCE rifle. Personally I don't feel it's overpassed at all. It's noticeably smoother than my carbine gassed rifles. If you can get it a dealers cost, jump on it. It's a very fine basic Noveske. We from Oregon appreciate your business!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would not consider the Noveske a good value for price you are paying. The only thing that separates the Noveske from a something like a Colt is the FN CHF barrel which can be found all over the place for alot less, it isnt the 2000's anymore where only 2-3 mfg had them.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I would not consider the Noveske a good value for price you are paying. The only thing that separates the Noveske from a something like a Colt is the FN CHF barrel which can be found all over the place for alot less, it isnt the 2000's anymore where only 2-3 mfg had them.
    You seem to be implying that anyone who has an FN manufactured CHF barrel has the same product, and that one should merely find one at the lowest price.

Is that correct?

Feedback Score

What would you recommend instead?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You seem to be implying that anyone who has an FN manufactured CHF barrel has the same product, and that one should merely find one at the lowest price.

Is that correct?
    I dont know what the Noveske specs are or QC requirements for their FN barrels other than gas port size and profile but they are charging quite a bit($450+) per barrel. To put in perspective thats Hodge barrel pricing range without stating using steels or processes, extra QC unique to their barrels, so no I can't really determine if their barrels are better or worse than the ones you see at places like Brownells. For me, it would be a stretch to pay that much more for a barrel without a pedigree of what they are doing differently than the rest of the vendors FN made barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCourier View Post
    What would you recommend instead?
    For "better than mil-spec" barrels you are better off getting a BCM or a DD in terms of a basic rifle. Both offer CHF and properly ported barrels(atleast DD's midlengths are).
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-16-19 at 01:20.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Let's say Noveske works up a contract order from FN that has certain requirements. For example the barrel has to be made on a mandrel with a only a certain number of hammer passes, it has to have a double thickness of chrome-lining using a precise application process, it has to be made on the same steel used in their 249 SAW barrels, FN must send the steel mill certificates on to Noveske, it has to meet a certain chamber to muzzle alignment and concentricity, it has to pass a bore scope inspection of the rifling for smoothness, it has to me contoured to a chamber heavy non-government profile, it has to be high pressure tested, and finally it has to be magnet particle inspected. FN fulfills the contract order. Noveske does some end run work like installing the extension and drilling the gas port. Noveske advertises certain portions of what has gone in to the barrel.

Later PSA sees the amount of praise heaped on the Noveske barrels. They send in a contract order for the 249 steel barrels, with a double thickness of chrome-lining, high pressure tested, magnetic particle inspected, and finished in the government profile. As PSA is not in the business of manufacturing barrels on any level the have FN do both the extension and gas port drilling.

Are these barrels the same?

Just to be clear I am not stating this is how Noveske or PSA orders their barrels but I am pointing out things that can make a drastic difference from one contract order to another.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Let's say Noveske works up a contract order from FN that has certain requirements. For example the barrel has to be made on a mandrel with a only a certain number of hammer passes, it has to have a double thickness of chrome-lining using a precise application process, it has to be made on the same steel used in their 249 SAW barrels, FN must send the steel mill certificates on to Noveske, it has to meet a certain chamber to muzzle alignment and concentricity, it has to pass a bore scope inspection of the rifling for smoothness, it has to me contoured to a chamber heavy non-government profile, it has to be high pressure tested, and finally it has to be magnet particle inspected. FN fulfills the contract order. Noveske does some end run work like installing the extension and drilling the gas port. Noveske advertises certain portions of what has gone in to the barrel.

Later PSA sees the amount of praise heaped on the Noveske barrels. They send in a contract order for the 249 steel barrels, with a double thickness of chrome-lining, high pressure tested, magnetic particle inspected, and finished in the government profile. As PSA is not in the business of manufacturing barrels on any level the have FN do both the extension and gas port drilling.

Are these barrels the same?

Just to be clear I am not stating this is how Noveske or PSA orders their barrels but I am pointing out things that can make a drastic difference from one contract order to another.
    If it was during John's era at Noveske, I would say absolutely they are requiring top of the line specs from FN. The current Noveske, I would not be surprised if they lowered the requirements for their FN barrels and kept the same pricing. This is my just my opinion in terms of what Ive been seeing from them over the past few years so think about them what you will, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    If it was during John's era at Noveske, I would say absolutely they are requiring top of the line specs from FN. The current Noveske, I would not be surprised if they lowered the requirements for their FN barrels and kept the same pricing. This is my just my opinion in terms of what Ive been seeing from them over the past few years so think about them what you will, YMMV.
    What have you been seeing from them in the past few years that indicates a lowering in quality compared to when John Noveske was around? When Noveske first came on my radar, it was during the John era. I haven't kept up with any changes that may have happened since his passing.

Feedback Score
    The LMT SPM16 is another available to me, but some aspects of it come off as cutting corners to me. The semi auto BCG, carbine buffer, straight pins in the gas block, and no parkerizing under the gas block. Each of these factors by themselves aren’t a big deal, but all of them put together just looks like cutting corners when a $800 Colt has all of these to mil spec.

Do taper pins make for a more durable setup than straight pins?
    Last edited by CajunCourier; 02-16-19 at 10:43.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast