Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no Hogs in northern climates?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Why no Hogs in northern climates?

Why is it there are no Hogs in the upper midwest? Seems they are hearty enough for cold weather after all Russian boar come from Russia where it gets plenty cold and I've heard of them in Germany. Yet while they seem to thrive in the southern U.S. There just aren't any up here in the northern climes. Is this one of those "Damn Yankee" things.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Because you are lucky, that's why. They do an incredible amount of crop damage here in Texas.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    More natural (carnivorous) predators?

Feedback Score
    Didn't mean to imply that we want them here, just curious as to why the area is less habitable to them.
    As far as predators go maybe in the north woods where black bears and timber wolves are common but Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and Ohio not hardly.
    I can understand places where the temp's drop to the -20's and more in winter, only us yuppers are crazy enough to live in that.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It’s possible that they are just not up here yet, unfortunately they

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I think in part it is because as a species they have acclimated to the warmer southern climate, with an abundance of food and plenty of space to rove, forage and spawn. As mentioned above, predation appears low enough to not drive the hogs away. Why leave a hospitable environment?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Predation may be part of the reason why they’re so prolific down south, but having raised them I can tell you that they are smart, tenacious and adaptive as hell. Cold weather doesn’t faze them, either. More than once I’ve looked out and they’re sleeping in snow in freezing temps even though there’s a perfectly nice pen hutch nearby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They are moving North here so just a matter of time not taking in to consideration relocation and release speeding up the process.

Just looked it up and they are established in Canada and moving South too.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-16-19 at 15:11.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    More natural (carnivorous) predators?
    That makes a lot of sense. We don't have nearly as large a bear, wolf or mountain lion population down here.

When I was a kid, I do remember us shooting three different mountain lions in a two year span, which is very unusual. They tend to go after calves and colts whenever they get the chance, they are easier prey than deer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not sure where you live, but I'm from the midwest and have been in FL for almost 30 years we hunt the crap out of hogs with thermal relentlessly when it's not deer/turkey season. In just the past decade I have listened to reports and looked at hogs killed by friends from Tenn to Kentucky and now southern Indiana. Not sure where you are, but they are on their way. I feel for the deer addicts because the hogs drive out all deer even dominant bucks won't stick around. Truly thermal hog and coyote hunting is exponentially more fun for me than sitting in a stand motionless for hours. 3 deer sits for me last season. Going after hogs tonight!
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 03-14-19 at 11:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast