Thread: Can Glock BTF damage an RMR?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Can Glock BTF damage an RMR?

I purchased a used Gen4 G19 w/ ATEI installed RMR a few months ago, and have plans to give the set-up a dedicated try this coming shooting season. Last time I took it out I noticed a few scratches on the RMR housing and wondered if it was the brass deflecting off the RMR. Prior owner confirms scuffs are pre-existing. I installed the Apex FRE anyway, but this leads me to ponder a few questions:

1-Can BTF damage the RMR glass? Mostly just curious.

2-How tough is RMR glass? I hear some people rack their slides with it.

3-Can brass even hit the RMR? Does the ejection angle even allow it?

I'm guessing the best solution for people setting up the Glock/RMR combo is to vet your pistol before having RMR installed.

Feedback Score
    The RMR is tough, but the best course of action would be a 30274 ejector and an APEX extractor. Just go ahead and fix the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Already added the Apex extractor. Much improved ejection, if it even needed it. I'll check the ejector for giggles.

Feedback Score
    A quick search seems to show that you're not the only one having that issue. I've never shot a Glock with a red dot, but I have owned a Gen4 G17 with brass to face issues. I used the 30274 ejector with the Apex extractor which worked well. I also used the G19X 47021 ejector in the Gen4 G17 with the stock extractor and Apex extractor which in my opinion worked even better.

Feedback Score
    No, the brass won't damage the RMR. I have intentionally dropped my G19.5 on the RMR, used the RMR to rack the slide simulating one-hand reloads on wood, my holster, boot. All with no issues.

Fix the BTF issue with the Apex and Glock parts, beat on the RMR, be happy.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Just checked and saw that it has the 30274 ejector. Should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    1. My gun used to eject into the rmr - no scratches.
    2. I fixed it with a new 9mm ejector, extractor plunger, and extractor. Mine is a 40-9 conversion so may not be applicable to you.
    3. if its hitting the rmr, its going to eject forward (12-3 oclock)
    4. get a phone and slow-mo video tape up close of the ejection and see where the brass is going. from the top is the best angle. Iphones work the best on 240fps. PM for details if youre not sure how to set it up and review.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-16-19 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    It won’t damage it per se, but I’d want to fix it so the brass went elsewhere. Sooner or later the extra hits will add up. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I have not experienced this phenomenon. I would not be pleased with using my RMR as a brass deflector and would demand instant satisfaction.