Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Precision" Build Questions...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have one or more Geissele SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, G2S, SSP, Hi Speed National Match DMR and Hi Speed Service Rifle. I like them all in the various rifles I have them in but the Hi Speed National Match triggers are absolutely incredible IMO. They are the only trigger I have that when I dry fire it I smile and say "wow" out loud. I still do it and I've been using them for about 2 years.

ETA: I used an adjustable gas block on my 20" build. I wish I hadn't. It has worked fine but I don't think it was necessary or adds anything.
    Last edited by dmd08; 02-16-19 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    There are some tricks used by guys who build match grade service rifle uppers, but they may or may not be worth your time or of interest to you.

Joe Carlos is a retired US Army MSG who served as an armorer for the Army Reserve Marksmanship Team. He claims that in his experience, shimming and gluing a barrel into an upper will reduce group size by as much as 1/3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJL-...efHKg&index=35

(There are several more videos in that series with him, but the above it the most to-the-point about accurizing an upper by improving the fit between the barrel and receiver extension).

You could probably approach the press fit he talks about by using an upper that in manufactured to have a tighter than normal fit to begin with, as are BCM forged uppers IIRC.

Another short and less helpful video covering the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jKERY7KJE

Criterion also recommends gluing their barrels in during installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxU...efHKg&index=28

Again, maybe not for you, but it is something that some folks are doing.
    Thanks for that- I have in fact been in touch with MSG Carlos.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    For the upper reciever Faxon makes one that is already lapped and trued. VLTOR MUR it the new BCM upper coming out would also be good choices for a precision upper. The MUR is more rigid and can help with accuracy if you do your part

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Thanks for that- I have in fact been in touch with MSG Carlos.
    No problem. And that's excellent, glad to hear it.

Feedback Score
    I’m following this thread to learn and I am not qualified to add much.

I do however own a Geissele SD E as well as the G2S E (Brownells exclusive I think) and can say they are phenomenal. I do have a experience with top notch competition grade 1911 and pistol triggers. Both these of these triggers break practically the same in feel though the G2S E is a bit lighter and is measuring at just around or under 3#. I plan to actually swap the springs for SSA spring to add a pound but would have no issue using it as is for a precision rifle.

Considering all the trigger reviews and commentary I have read for the last 10 years, I don’t know why anyone would buy anything but a Geissele made trigger....all things considered
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    ...Considering all the trigger reviews and commentary I have read for the last 10 years, I don’t know why anyone would buy anything but a Geissele made trigger....all things considered
    The KAC two stage trigger has a shorter reset, which I much prefer.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12