Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question - tree or hill for a backstop?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Stupid question - tree or hill for a backstop?

I feel like I should know the answer to this, but I'm really not positive since I'm used to real ranges. My in-laws have enough land to shoot on but there is only one area that I really feel comfortable using as a backstop. Its a hill, but not quite as steep as I'd want so I worry about ricochets going straight and off to the left, because there are houses in both of those directions (not close, and plenty of trees in between, but still). I think its a pretty low chance because of the angle of entry for the rounds, but I'm sure its still possible. To help minimize this, I've been shooting into a think tree, but I've wondered if that actually a good idea considering the amount of rounds I've put into it in just two days. I could post a picture but I don't know if it'll help show the incline angle on the hill. What do you guys think? Tree is the best bet even if new rounds are hitting old rounds lodged into it? Or stay away and just shoot into the hill because shooting a tree is dumb?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Hill is probably likely to catch more but if it isn't tallmenough that could be an issue. Can you pay a surrounding land owner to bring a few large hay bales and place them in top of the burn? That's what we did at my buddies place. Ended up getting them for free as they were older.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The hill. Take some time to shovel and rake the dirt to remove any big rocks, reshape the hill to reduce ricochets. I would let you borrow my John Deere tractor w loader to help but it's hard to send it thru my MacBook.

The tree will offer two big problems. First, you will kill it and then you've lost you're backstop (and the tree). Two, Ricochets from imbedded lead/copper will happen.

Good luck.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the tree is fairly chewed up then it is likely dead already.

How far to the other houses from the impact area? That and the angle and height of the hill are the biggies. And hitting flat ground in front of the hill can over ride the hill entirely.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-17-19 at 08:35.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The hill, of course. Not a bad idea to make a vertical backstop directly behind the intended target area. You can use old tires, timbers (like railroad ties), logs, a pile of sand/dirt that will hold a fairly steep angle, etc. There are also armor steel bullet traps you can buy for outdoor use, and I've seen one outdoor bullet trap that was basically a picture frame holding some kind of non-metallic material that would stop bullets also.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Build a real backstop, and whatever you do, don’t assume trees stop bullets.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/0...thorities-say/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I should’ve clarified more, this is for occasional plinking. I’ve put a little under 400 rounds through my new 9mm 1911 in the past two days, but that’s an extreme case. And the tree is at the base of the hill, so there is redundancy there in case of misses or over penetration. What I was asking was more about ricochets off of trees and/or the rounds lodged in them. I’ll take a picture in a little bit, might help. I know ricochets are always possible and nothing will be as good as a proper backdrop, just looking to avoid easily-made mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always heard belted tires can fling pistol bullets back at you.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ckstop.675789/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I should’ve clarified more, this is for occasional plinking.
    Catching a ricochet isn't a cumulative effect kinda thing.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Stupid question - tree or hill for a backstop?

So this thread is somewhat irrelevant now. Turns out while I was making this post, my father in law was building a berm on another part of the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-19-19 at 16:39.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast