Thread: KAC RAS doesn’t fit BCM SOCOM upper?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

KAC RAS doesn’t fit BCM SOCOM upper?

Trying to put a KAC RAS rail on my BCM M4 14.5” socom upper and it is not going on. Took me a few minutes with my LE6920. What gives? Using the delta ring tool doesn’t help. The base of the rail won’t slide all the way onto the barrel nut.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The KAC RAS has a clamp that has to fit over the barrel nut that, when tightened down, holds the handguards in place. You'll need to open it up a bit more, then carefully maneuver everything into place.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The KAC RAS has a clamp that has to fit over the barrel nut that, when tightened down, holds the handguards in place. You'll need to open it up a bit more, then carefully maneuver everything into place.
    Finally got it. Thanks. The trick is to keep the gun horizontal and not vertical like I was doing so the clip above the gas tube slides under the barrel nut. What a pain.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You're welcome. The first time I installed one, KAC RAS and I went 10 rounds in the ring before I finally figured it out.

I am American

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Does that rail free float or semi free float the barrel? What's the point that part of the design? I never messed with the one of my issued rifle because I didn't feel like losing any parts in a place where I could not get replacement parts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The KAC RAS (or RIS?) that I'm thinking of, is a drop in quad rail handguard. They use a clip that is tightened against the inside of the barrel nut with a screwdriver to lock the handguard in place. It doesn't free float the barrel, it simply locks the handguards in place. I believe this is so the POA of any lasers mounted to the handguards will be consistent.

I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tagged for interest - I need to install a RAS on a BCM C8 clone upper but the rail hasn’t arrived yet.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Does that rail free float or semi free float the barrel? What's the point that part of the design? I never messed with the one of my issued rifle because I didn't feel like losing any parts in a place where I could not get replacement parts.
    A similar design that actually free floats is the DD OMEGA rail if your interested in a free floating quad rail.