Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-barreling Colt 6920 after some use

Feedback Score

re-barreling Colt 6920 after some use

Hello everyone. My plan is to free float my Colt 6920. I already have a nice handguard in the mail and was going to pay someone to shave down the FSB and install the rail. However, someone is selling a Daniel Defense mid length barrel with about 600 rounds through it for a good price. My Colt has about 1000-1200 rounds through it. Would it be a bad idea to use the Daniel Defense barrel with my existing bolt and carrier? I know it's not recommended to mix and match bolts and barrels, but I thought maybe it would be ok considering good components that aren't heavily worn.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    Hello everyone. My plan is to free float my Colt 6920. I already have a nice handguard in the mail and was going to pay someone to shave down the FSB and install the rail. However, someone is selling a Daniel Defense mid length barrel with about 600 rounds through it for a good price. My Colt has about 1000-1200 rounds through it. Would it be a bad idea to use the Daniel Defense barrel with my existing bolt and carrier? I know it's not recommended to mix and match bolts and barrels, but I thought maybe it would be ok considering good components that aren't heavily worn.
    With only 1000-1200 rounds through the Colt, why not keep it as is and use the handguard on the DD barrel and build it up over time using a DD BCG? You can always use another AR in the family unless there are budgetary constraints.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wouldn’t switch a colt barrel with your round count for a DD mid with that round count. Shoot the piss out of what you have and switch when it’s worn out.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I am on a tight budget. I'd love to just have a nice mid length upper in addition to the Colt, but I can't afford to. The CHF DD barrel and mid length gas would probably be a little nicer, but the Colt barrel is far from bad. Maybe I'll just keep the Colt together then.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Keep the colt. Save money over the time it takes you to wear the zckkt out and you’ll have enough money to buy what ever upper or barrel you want.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    It’s a tough choice. I think I’ll keep the Colt together though. I haven’t tested the accuracy of the Colt barrel, but I’ve read, when set up right, they’re more accurate than some people give them credit for. At least, I’ll be modifying a reliable rifle as little as possible to ditch the fixed front sight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the DD mid is their government profile then you wouldn't even get a major handling difference versus the 6920.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Androctonus View Post
    Thanks guys. I am on a tight budget. I'd love to just have a nice mid length upper in addition to the Colt, but I can't afford to. The CHF DD barrel and mid length gas would probably be a little nicer, but the Colt barrel is far from bad. Maybe I'll just keep the Colt together then.
    If you can get the DD barrel for a price you can live with, why not get it and put it aside?

Sounds like you have the free-float enroute - does it use the GI barrel nut? Is it long enough tocover a mid-length gas block?

My impulse would be to get the barrel, if you can afford it, and over the next 5 or 6 months get the parts you need to complete another upper with the DD barrel.

Assuming you leave the Colt as is, here is a rough guesstimate:

BCM Blemished upper (I dare you to find the blem): $60.00 https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...-m4%20demo.htm

BCM Mid-length Gas Tube: $15.00 https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15...mid-length.htm

A2 Flash Hider sold by BCM: $8.00 https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/a2-f...hider%20a2.htm

(May not be the absolute best price but you save shipping by buying lower cost items at the same place)

Geissele Carbon Steel Gas Block: $39.00 https://algdefense.com/carbon-steel-gas-block.html

Toolcraft BCG (C-158 Bolt): $90.00 http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm

So you'd need roughly $212.00 to complete another upper - if you have the barrel and rail. Then you'd have two uppers, and, if your are the norm, the next step would be a lower, and you'd have two complete rifles.

Just a thought.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the DD is gov profile. The main appeal is the mid length gas. Though I don’t really know how much better that would be.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. The rail is a 13” BCM MCMR that comes with a new barrel nut. It would cover a mid length gas system. I’m going to have it put on the Colt though. Having the rail just sitting in a box would bug me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast