Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamp On or Set Screw Gas Block

Feedback Score

Clamp On or Set Screw Gas Block

Which type of gas block is better for someone who is installing one for the first time, clamp on or set screw? I have done lots of searching and can’t find a definitive answer? Is it just preference or is one really better or easier to do right than the other? To me, the clamp on type seems easier, but i notice that most gas blocks on the market are set screw.

Feedback Score
    Clamp on may be easier, but a loctited set screw gas block with a dimpled barrel will be more secure. There are jigs on the market to set gas blocks.
    Pinned through the barrel is the ultimate way to set a gas block.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Clamp on may be easier, but a loctited set screw gas block with a dimpled barrel will be more secure. There are jigs on the market to set gas blocks.
    Pinned through the barrel is the ultimate way to set a gas block.
    Are you talking about pinning one through where you removed a fsp and installed an aftermarket gas block and used the cut out or indention that is in the barrel? I’m wanting to remove my fsp and install a gas block but after punching out the pins it will have the indentions under the barrel and don’t believe a set screw gas block will be secure with that?

Feedback Score
    Military carbines are pinned. In the civilian market the industry standard is the set screw type. The best method is to buy a SLR Rifle Works gas block jig and drill a dimple. The jig is not expensive, you use it to mark the dimple in exactly the right place and its a tool that lasts so you can use it on your next build.
    Last edited by prepare; 02-18-19 at 04:40.

Feedback Score
    You won’t be able to use the cuts on the barrel from the removed FSB. I was referring to a virgin gas block and barrel.
    You should be able to use set screws however.
    Have you considered shaving the FSB if it will fit under your rail?

Feedback Score
    Set screw gas block with a dimpled barrel all the way. There are piles of videos on the YouTube that will explain it better than text on here will.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The key is having a dimple opposite the gas port to properly align the gas block.

With set screw blocks, the rear screw locates on the dimple, while clamp on blocks generally need to be eyeballed.

Our MicroPin gas block allows for easy pin drilling after installation, for the best of both worlds.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes I would say set screw type, with barrel dimpled for rear set screw, screws red loctited, and staked, would be much more secure than clamp-on. All that with a pin is best, of course.

If I were yhe OP though, I'd just cut down the existing FSB.

Feedback Score
    I am installing it on a new barrel. There is no FSB.

Are the set screw blocks all about the same from the different manufacturers or are any that are better than the rest?

Feedback Score
    I’ve used BCM, Vltor and BRT and had good luck with all 3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast