Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 gun, updated. Recce.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

2009 gun, updated. Recce.

I originally put this rifle together in 2010 with parts purchased in 2009. It holds a special place in my heart because it was my first “build”. While in the planning stages, I often had in front of me a Colt M4a1, and I sought to keep the manual of arms, reliability, and accuracy of that weapon, while addressing my few complaints. As a pathological tinkerer, I digressed a bit. This rifle is full of stuff that will get me laughed at here, yet it continues to run with no issues. I have over 8,000 rounds on the gun, and no longer track them because it is now on a replace-it-when-it-breaks schedule.

Original recipe:
    Noveske 14.5” mid gas stainless
    Saylor’s Machine Phoenix flash hider
    DD rifle length cheese grater
    Surefire Nitrolon with an old school clicky tailcap in who knows what mount
    BFG Vickers sling with Cobra buckle
    BCM? Upper
    Fail Zero bolt
    Colt extractor and spring
    JP auto carrier
    DPMS? Ti firing pin
    CAR buffer
    Tubbs flat wire spring
    Troy fixed front sight on pic rail
    Sun Devil stripped lower
    RRA LPK
    BCM receiver extension
    Magpul MIAD
    Magpul CTR
    MI RE sling mount
    PRI Gasbuster Military Latch
    RRA Pic rail A2 rear sight
    RRA Star selector switch
    A variety of rail covers I had on hand
    Krylon.

It has since been configured with irons, Aimpoints, Eotechs, and LPVO’s. It also ran for a while with a Colt M16 spring without issue, much to my surprise. This spring was put in at some point by accident and I discovered it during a routine check up. I thought it still had a Tubbs in it. I replaced it with a M4 spring.

https://imgur.com/a/OLmY4hc

Current configuration:
    Griffin M4SD flash hider
    BRT EZ Tune gas tube
    VLTOR no forward assist upper
    DD Grip
    Colt M4 spring
    H2 buffer
    Inforce WML
    Geissele SSA
    Unknown brand offset flip up irons

This rifle is heavy; 10.8 lbs with 30 rounds.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-23-19 at 07:28. Reason: Fix link

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rationale:

Many of these parts were chosen because I had no idea what I was doing. The titanium firing pin is a perfect example.

At the time, I wanted a longer handguard badly, and was begining to transition away from the era of KAC foregrips. I also wanted something ballistically similar to my duty rifle, not yet knowing that a 14.5” Noveske stainless barrel chronos like a 16” gun. Most importantly, I wanted a rifle that met non-NFA requirements, but also was short and had handguard nearly to the muzzle.

The Inforce WML was chosen because I really like the activation. Dear Surefire: Make a light that accepts a PEQ switch, like the M3/M6, and I will buy 6.

Noveske came highly recommended by a person I highly respect, and this barrel did not disappoint.

The Phoenix FH worked well in in impromptu tests on MK18’s and M4A1’s. So I P/W’d it. It’s since been cut off and replaced with a Griffin FH for mount compatibility. I have not yet shot the Griffin at night.

The BCG was driven by the idea at the time that NB would improve reliability when dry. It has been very reliable, and I really don’t clean much. I’m a little surprised it hasn’t yet sheared a lug. Colt extractor was to limit variables, as this was my first coated bolt, and that made me wary.

This gun has had a diet of mostly M855, but has also digested 193 clones, Federal .223 69gr SMK, M855a1, BH 5.56 77SMK, Fusion 62, Fusion MSR, Barnes 5.56 70gr, Precision One .223 55gr, Precision One 5.56 62gr (no penetrator), various steel cased ammo, and more. It has been reliable and accurate.

This rifle now wears a LPVO, Steiner P4Xi.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-23-19 at 09:07. Reason: Remove rant

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm afraid the link for the picture doesn't work. I'd love to see the rifle. Thank you for sharing.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    New picture link

https://imgur.com/a/OLmY4hc
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quite a beastly rifle! I have a spare parts rifle built off of a 6920 upper that is a lot heavier than it needs to be(DD rail), but it works, so I like it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yes it has some rather hefty parts, which is why it became a semi-precision rig. The handguard is beefy, the barrel is a thick contour, and a LPVO puts it over the top.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Update:
    It has been rebarrelled with a Colt 14.5” Govt profile barrel, with the Griffin flash hider pinned and welded, just over 16.1”.

Other changes:
    New Colt BCG
    Forward assist upper I had laying around, probably the original BCM one
    BRT .0625 gas tube
    Vltor pinned gas block
    EDT2 trigger, but it’ll get its SSA back soon

It weighs 6.87 lbs with no aiming devices, sling, or mag. In a variety of optic and sling mount configurations, it is 4-8oz less than my “Big Army 2021” clone.

I intend to replace the lower with a plain forged one with an A5 tube when convenient. It has been slowly turning into a Block II clone.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Still using the same rail?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Still using the same rail?
    Yessir.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Is the Afghan from the same timeframes as the other parts? If so it's a fine barrel. I'm guessing it has the full length gasblock seat and not the little short one. If that's what you used that little thing makes a fine precision gun because they're accurate as all get out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast