Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Comparison: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very helpful, very informative thread. Outstanding pics and presentation - many thanks, OP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Very helpful, very informative thread. Outstanding pics and presentation - many thanks, OP.
    Thanks for reading, glad you found it useful. That's what it's all about.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got some trigger time on the Vortex PST II and it's a fantastic scope... but I was definitely surprised by how heavy it makes an AR. This is my first magnified optic on an AR so coming from Aimpoints I guess this is normal, but just be aware it will really change the handling characteristics of a handy 16" gun when shooting offhand standing up.

I mounted mine so the eyepiece was about 3/4" forward of the back of the charging handle, and I shoot with the stock halfway in so maybe it was a balance thing, but my support arm was certainly feeling the weight.

At the same time the scope makes the rifle so capable compared to any kind of RDS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I got some trigger time on the Vortex PST II and it's a fantastic scope... but I was definitely surprised by how heavy it makes an AR. This is my first magnified optic on an AR so coming from Aimpoints I guess this is normal, but just be aware it will really change the handling characteristics of a handy 16" gun when shooting offhand standing up.

I mounted mine so the eyepiece was about 3/4" forward of the back of the charging handle, and I shoot with the stock halfway in so maybe it was a balance thing, but my support arm was certainly feeling the weight.

At the same time the scope makes the rifle so capable compared to any kind of RDS.
    LPVOs in general definitely add weight, as does anything else. Suppressors, lights, etc. quickly add up. The Cloud Defensive OWL is over 11oz, suppressors average around 16oz or so, etc. Lots of factors come in to play with weight but generally the mounted accessories are a necessary and worthwhile trade-off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah the added capability of the scope is worth it, it's just a different approach to handling and shooting positions for me. I've always run 6920s or 6720s with irons or lightweight RDSs and FSBs, so shooting those guns has always been more like shooting a pistol. Those carbines make shooting while moving and just standing offhand very easy.

The PST on the Sionics with the medium contour barrel and 13" handguard is much more like traditional rifle shooting for me. It's good though, and I'll be working more on shooting from positions that allow improvised rests.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Thanks for reading, glad you found it useful. That's what it's all about.
    This thread is top-shelf quality!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just took delivery of my P4Xi, so far so good. That said, on a somewhat related topic, what was the size for scope caps?, if you use them? & did anyone go with Tenebraex covers, besides Butler Creek?
    Last edited by mildot; 04-25-19 at 10:14.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRatSafaris View Post
    This thread is top-shelf quality!
    Thanks, glad others are finding it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    I just took delivery of my P4Xi, so far so good. That said, on a somewhat related topic, what was the size for scope caps?, if you use them? & did anyone go with Tenebraex covers, besides Butler Creek?
    From a search, the diameters are:
    OBJ: 1.18”/30.05mm (Butler Creek Objective Cover 02A)
    EYE: 1.74”/44.25mm (Butler Creek Eyepiece Cover #19)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Thanks, glad others are finding it useful.

From a search, the diameters are:
    OBJ: 1.18”/30.05mm (Butler Creek Objective Cover 02A)
    EYE: 1.74”/44.25mm (Butler Creek Eyepiece Cover #19)
    Thanks bud, & well done!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I finally got this mounted and zeroed. Overall very pleased with the scope. This is my second Steiner scope, and overall its been great. The eye box is generous and the reticle is simple, and easy to setup using the Strelok app. Since an RDS is not an option anymore given my astigmatism, I'm pretty happy with using a low power scope. While this scope can be used as an RDS at 1 power, I found, for myself that the dot had a bit of a "tail" however with a variety of illumination settings, I was able to "turn down" the power and the dot was fine. The diopter setting on the scope made getting the reticle sharp very easy as well. I was able to put several rds in a 1" dot at 100yrd. If the reticle was a bit "finer" it would have been even easier. Zeroing was simple I needed some adjustment on the windage, however the elevation was dead on. Once the turrets are set and "capped" you use the reticle as a BDC, very simple and, so far so good.

On another note, a good friend managed to talk me out of getting some Butler Creek (BC) scope caps, while BC is good "bang for the buck" I'm glad he did.This is my first experience using them, and I was very impressed with the Tenebraex product. Easy to install and well made. The folks at Armament Technology (AT) were great to deal with. Patrick was awesome, and customer service along with shipping was fast. The caps were the perfect size, and fit great. Thanks troops!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast