Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Great write up. I've been a PST G2 1-6x24 owner since they came out and like it A LOT.

So much so, that I returned a Razor G2-E 1-6x, as it really didn't do anything more than provide bright illumination for over twice the price.

I recently moved mine to a SBR SCAR 17, so we'll see if it's durable enough in a couple of months.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Definitely a factor to consider. I've not needed Vortex's CS so I have no personal experience there, but their reputation precedes them. Steiner, through both email and social media, was downright unpleasant to work with - enough so that I opted to not even send the unit in for repair and take my chances with a mechanically deteriorating optic. So far though, the P4Xi is still hanging in there with no ill effects.
    My Vortex warranty story.

Got a brand new Sparc to put on an MP .22 rifle. Took it out of the box, looked at it a bit, put the battery in turned it on and off etc.... and set it down on my dining room table. Came back the next day....gone...Hmm.....Look around...find it....under the table....being gnawed on by my new puppy!!!! He chewed the rubber side cover off, did a number on it, couldn't get it to work....

Downloaded their return form, put as "Reason for Return"-- "Owner is a moron who leaves his new optics in reach of his new puppy". Sent it off.

Two weeks later I get a brand new one in the mail. No muss, no fuss, no questions, no BS.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    My Vortex warranty story.

Got a brand new Sparc to put on an MP .22 rifle. Took it out of the box, looked at it a bit, put the battery in turned it on and off etc.... and set it down on my dining room table. Came back the next day....gone...Hmm.....Look around...find it....under the table....being gnawed on by my new puppy!!!! He chewed the rubber side cover off, did a number on it, couldn't get it to work....

Downloaded their return form, put as "Reason for Return"-- "Owner is a moron who leaves his new optics in reach of his new puppy". Sent it off.

Two weeks later I get a brand new one in the mail. No muss, no fuss, no questions, no BS.
    That's awesome and makes me confident in the optic just because I know if by some off chance it does fail somehow, at least it'll be taken care of. Much like Streamlight, who has similarly great CS in my experience. Everything breaks eventually, it's nice to know that when it does, someone who stands behind their product has your back.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Thanks for the great write up, I'm considering getting an P4Xi, and suffer, like you from astigmatism, how is the Steiner without the illumination? and is the dot much worse than say an Aimpoint? Thanks & stay safe
    I have both a Steiner P4Xi and a bit of an astigmatism in my left, strong eye (why is it always the strong eye?). Anyway, I don't have a problem with the reticle or dot. The reticle is quite clear and the dot only becomes a problem when I crank the dot way up (it can get pretty bright), which I don't do.

OP...real nice write up, thanks for your work.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 02-19-19 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I have both a Steiner P4Xi and a bit of an astigmatism in my left, strong eye (why is it always the strong eye?). Anyway, I don't have a problem with the reticle or dot. The reticle is quite clear and the dot only becomes a problem when I crank the dot way up (it can get pretty bright), which I don't do.

OP...real nice write up, thanks for your work.
    Thanks, I'm the same, left eye dominant & have some issues with my cornea (keratocronus), which just makes things worse ☹️

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    OP, great write up, thanks! Very helpful as I plan on buying another 1-6 this year. I had the original Vortex 1-4 and felt like a needed a little more magnification for my shooting. Had a Strikeeagle but was underwhelmed by the reticle. Vortex CS has a deserved reputation as I found out recently. They definitely exceeded my expectations.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    OP, great write up, thanks! Very helpful as I plan on buying another 1-6 this year. I had the original Vortex 1-4 and felt like a needed a little more magnification for my shooting. Had a Strikeeagle but was underwhelmed by the reticle. Vortex CS has a deserved reputation as I found out recently. They definitely exceeded my expectations.
    Glad to help. I also had a 1st Gen PST 1-4x back in like 2012. Optical quality from Gen 1 to Gen 2 has improved immensely and I'm very appreciative that cluttered and dimly lit reticles are slowly being phased out in the mid range and higher end LPVOs. After using the JM1, VMR1, P3TR and similar reticles I will never go back to horseshoes, donuts, chevrons and so on.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thank you for the good review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    - For those with astigmatism such as myself, both optics illuminated center dot may bloom, but the P4Xi uses a projection like a red dot which is more prone to visual distortion
    Not according to this Q & A from Steiner:
    Jonnie45
    · 9 months ago
    I have astigmatism, would this scope work for me?
    answer

Steiner Tech Support
    · 9 months ago

Yes, it uses a fiber optic illumination system.

3 people found this answer helpful.
    2 people did not find this answer helpful.
    Helpful?
    Yes · 3
    3 people found this answer helpful. Click to agree.
    No · 2
    2 people did not find this answer helpful. Click to agree.
    I have to agree with them. Looking in from the objective end I cannot see any light source shining forward towards any of the lenses in the scope
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 02-20-19 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    Not according to this Q & A from Steiner:

I have to agree with them. Looking in from the objective end I cannot see any light source shining forward towards any of the lenses in the scope
    Very interesting, that may well be the case but it was actually one of Steiner's social media people who posted on TOS that said it uses an LED emitter, and I 100% believed that because my perception of the dots in these two scopes is completely different. I'll see if I can find and post a link to the thread.

Regardless, the P4Xi thread on TOS is also littered with people with astigmatism complaining about the appearance of the dot, so it's not just me. It doesn't bother me, but it's worth mentioning. Side by side, the PST has a much more well defined dot.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 02-20-19 at 15:10.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast