Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparison: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Very interesting, that may well be the case but it was actually one of Steiner's social media people who posted on TOS that said it uses an LED emitter, and I 100% believed that because my perception of the dots in these two scopes is completely different. I'll see if I can find and post a link to the thread..
    No need. Yes, the light source is an LED emitter. But that does NOT mean that the light is projected onto the lens on which the reticle is engraved. In fact, I'm going to tell you it's physically impossible because in order for an LED to project a red dot back to your eye its light has to be collimated onto an angled (not perpendicular to scope axial centerline) lens. There isn't a single angled lens inside a magnifying scope sight.

The light from the LED is transmitted via fiber optic rod down the top vertical stadia line to the center of the reticle where a small opening lets you see it as a red dot

Get into a darkened room and turn the intensity to near max. Then look at the top vertical stadia line and you'll see a red glow along its edges. That's the fiber optic rod leaking light out the sides.

Why to you it looks worse than a Vortex I cannot tell. Everyone's eyes are different and your astigmatism isn't the same as mine.

I've never looked into a lit PST or Razor 1-6X but I can tell you for a fact that the red dot in the center of my Steiner looks orders of magnitude better than any reflex sight from Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Holosun (aka Sig Sauer Romeo5) ever did.
    Last edited by Don Quijote; 02-20-19 at 16:09.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    Regardless, the P4Xi thread on TOS is also littered with people with astigmatism complaining about the appearance of the dot, so it's not just me. It doesn't bother me, but it's worth mentioning. Side by side, the PST has a much more well defined dot.
    I have astigmatism and the P4Xi's dot is much better defined (for me) than the dots on any of my Aimpoints (micros and comps). Being able to focus it helps. Good write up, OuTkAsT.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I have astigmatism and the P4Xi's dot is much better defined (for me) than the dots on any of my Aimpoints (micros and comps). Being able to focus it helps. Good write up, OuTkAsT.
    Thanks bud, good to see your still "hanging around", Cheers

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Thanks bud, good to see your still "hanging around", Cheers
    Thanks - I'm still here
    Just been spending more time with my son as he grows older (he's 11 now); and less time doing write ups etc.

Feedback Score
    I have a Steiner P4Xi 1-4 and really like it. Dot is not an issue for me; I too have astigmatism, and the Steiner P4Xi dot is well defined. I think it is an excellent option.
    I enjoyed your contribution.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Thanks - I'm still here
    Just been spending more time with my son as he grows older (he's 11 now); and less time doing write ups etc.
    Well that's good news, I was going to comment on your family, but didn't want to get too personal here. I know you have "slowed down" and that's a good thing as family comes first. I still "drop in" on your website from time to time to "check in" and see what's new. I've reached out to you on several occasions, and I've always appreciated your advice/comments . You truly are an asset here. Take care of the family and stay safe, Cheers
    Last edited by mildot; 02-20-19 at 19:27.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Well that's good news, I was going to comment on your family, but didn't want to get too personal here. I know you have "slowed down" and that's a good thing as family comes first. I still "drop in" on your website from time to time to "check in" and see what's new. I've reached out to you on several occasions, and I've always appreciated your advice/comments . You truly are an asset here. Take care of the family and stay safe, Cheers
    I do remember our correspondences. Thank you again for the kind words. One of the main things that has taken up a lot of my previously available time outside of work is indoor rock climbing for the past 4-5 years, which we do as a family (my son is on the youth comp team). We're there 3-4x a week for about 3 hours each time, so it adds up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quijote View Post
    The light from the LED is transmitted via fiber optic rod down the top vertical stadia line to the center of the reticle where a small opening lets you see it as a red dot

Why to you it looks worse than a Vortex I cannot tell. Everyone's eyes are different and your astigmatism isn't the same as mine.

I've never looked into a lit PST or Razor 1-6X but I can tell you for a fact that the red dot in the center of my Steiner looks orders of magnitude better than any reflex sight from Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Holosun (aka Sig Sauer Romeo5) ever did.
    We're on the same page. I don't disagree that the projected dot vs. fiber optic rod comment was likely a misinterpretation or misinformation and of course the dot in any optic with an adjustable diopter is always going to appear sharper to anyone with less-than-perfect vision than one from an RDS... the diopter is applying basic focal correction when properly adjusted before the light ever leaves the optic. All I was trying to point out is that the delivery method is somehow different between these two optics, even if it's something as simple as the diameter of the fiber optic rod or color temperature. The P4Xi's dot is more similar to an RDS's dot than the PST's dot is to my eyes, and I made sure to stress the subjectivity and individualized results of dot appearance in the original post so as to not imply that one is inherently better than the other. They are just different.
    Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 02-22-19 at 11:08. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have owned both of these optics. As well as Vortex’s Razor 1-6, Leupold VX6, Trijicon Accupoint and accupower. The razor is obviously the best of these. I really liked the Steiner as a medium distance 1-4. The problem is that is is not a true 1x. The PST G2 is not true 1x either, but it is closer. The other advantage is that is 6x on the high end. So i stuck with the PST. I’m sure some one will say it is true 1x, but I challenge whoever says that to corpare it side by side with a known 1x high end scope. That will show you the difference.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Comparison: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x

I have a PST Gen 2 1x6 and was thinking of adding a Steiner. However, based on my own experience and this thread, I’ll probably go with another PST based on the cost being about equal with my discount.

The only technical input I have is, I have horrible astigmatism in my right eye and the PST red dot is clear for me. I do notice the “dot” on low settings and in various light conditions actually looks like two clear, small parallel lines in the middle of crosshairs. Hard to explain, but it is not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 02-23-19 at 20:54.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast