Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Comparison: Steiner P4Xi 1-4x vs. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well troops, I didn't want to start a new thread, however I would be interested if anyone has any comments/experience with the Burris XTREME TAC. XTR II 1X-8X-24MM ILL BALL 8X FFP,
    this is another scope I'm considering besides the P4Xi, it's for a different rifle though. Thanks & Stay safe.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Well troops, I didn't want to start a new thread, however I would be interested if anyone has any comments/experience with the Burris XTREME TAC. XTR II 1X-8X-24MM ILL BALL 8X FFP,
    this is another scope I'm considering besides the P4Xi, it's for a different rifle though. Thanks & Stay safe.
    I don't have any experience with that particular model, but two of the last three Burris optics I've owned failed under normal use including an XTR and RT6. I, personally, wouldn't put a Burris on anything I may need to rely on based on my experience, but your mileage may vary.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just got my Viper PST II and figured I'd share some photos I took. I was skeptical about the 1x but Aimpoints and EOs are just so sloppy for me with my astigmatism that they're no good for me in any use other than living room distance.

I was blown away by the 1x on the Viper. Other than the physical size of the unit, at 1x it is absolutely a both eyes open red dot experience. I tried out a Leupold VXR 1.25-4x previously and it was a mess at 1.25x and felt like a very flimsy cheap optic. The Vortex feels like a very solid and durable piece.

Like the OP said, cameras make things look different than each individual user's eye in reality, but these photos at least give an idea for anyone else considering the scope. Unless someone is limiting themselves to very lightweight optics I see no reason to not go this route. The capability is much greater than an Aimpoint or EO.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Since the OP has a Leupold Mark AR in the first picture, how does that compare? I have one, and previously a Vortex Strike Eagle (not the same, I know), but don't want to spend $3K on 5 different scopes looking for my perfect fit.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I just got my Viper PST II and figured I'd share some photos I took. I was skeptical about the 1x but Aimpoints and EOs are just so sloppy for me with my astigmatism that they're no good for me in any use other than living room distance.

I was blown away by the 1x on the Viper. Other than the physical size of the unit, at 1x it is absolutely a both eyes open red dot experience. I tried out a Leupold VXR 1.25-4x previously and it was a mess at 1.25x and felt like a very flimsy cheap optic. The Vortex feels like a very solid and durable piece.

Like the OP said, cameras make things look different than each individual user's eye in reality, but these photos at least give an idea for anyone else considering the scope. Unless someone is limiting themselves to very lightweight optics I see no reason to not go this route. The capability is much greater than an Aimpoint or EO.
    Thanks for posting those images, that may get me off the fence to upgrade my Leupold VX-R, which I agree is horrible at 1.25, however I don't share your opinion of its durability or quality. A lot of people say there is no true 1x LPVO but those appear very close to me.
    Last edited by rm06; 03-31-19 at 09:15. Reason: i'm an idiot

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I know it's been on here for a bit, but thank you for the great write up. I have recently been looking at these LPVOs and admit I've been looking at the Vortex Razor vs the Leupold mk 6. I think I may be looking at the PST gen II first.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post

Great pics and descriptions, thanks for adding to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Since the OP has a Leupold Mark AR in the first picture, how does that compare? I have one, and previously a Vortex Strike Eagle (not the same, I know), but don't want to spend $3K on 5 different scopes looking for my perfect fit.
    No comparison really, they are completely different optics. The Mark AR is fine for a square-range plinker, dedicated lightweight build or a mid-range varmint blaster because it's small, lighter than some full-size red dots, has good turrets, decent glass, and the Firedot SPR-G brings a daylight bright dot to the package. Beyond that, the crosshairs are thick, the magnification range is extremely limited (it's actually 3.9x on the top end per Leupold), and the BDC turret is only useful for 16-18" guns shooting 55-grain ammunition which combine to highly limit it's usefulness as an SPR/DMR or target rifle optic. The 1.5x minimum magnification highly limits it's usefulness on a carbine used for fast, close-range shooting. The push-button rheostat is finicky and comparatively unreliable and it's svelte design makes some sacrifices for ruggedness so it isn't well suited to a hard-use gun, "ranch rifle", or "truck gun" that's going to get knocked around a lot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm glad others bumped this thread to remind me to update it.

The first/oldest PST Gen II has been to two more carbine classes with me now, including a no-light / low light course, and I have another 1,500+ rounds through it with zero issues to report. The more I use it the more I like it.

It performed admirably in conditions with almost no ambient light, but obviously RDS/holographics still reign king of the night by nature of the design. Still, I had no issues quickly acquiring a sight picture, identifying and engaging targets from zero to fifty yards with the PST with illumination from a Surefire M600DF.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Appreciate the reply.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Have both and like both. Used the steiner on a 10k run and gun. No issues. The illumination did work its way on a few times while slinging the rifle over the back. It's on a 14.5" bcm government upper and the viper is on a newly built 16" bcm elw standard upper. No real time behind the viper other than sight in.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast