Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense Manufacturing 99% of Everything In-house

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Maybe "cast" is the wrong word. Say you are making aluminum... You have this big pot of molten metal... You have to pour it into something... What would you call the process of pouring it into something?
    Cast aluminum doesn't have the grain structure aluminum gets its strength from. So, aluminum is rolled, flat forged, extruded etc. to get the grain running straight before being cut into billets to forge receivers from.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Cast aluminum doesn't have the grain structure aluminum gets its strength from. So, aluminum is rolled, flat forged, extruded etc. to get the grain running straight before being cut into billets to forge receivers from.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How much of a rifle does the trigger group make up? Because the DD5 uses a Giessele trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Isn't it wonderful?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Just curious, what’s it going for?
    And there’s nothing more proven than DD’s RIS II. I’ll take one of those over the in-vogue ultralight thin freefloat tubes with attachment slots any day.
    Go to Brownell's, they're selling a version that doesn't have the lame DD furniture, or poop bronze Cerakote. Very close clone right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You didn't answer my question. How do you describe the process that happens before it is as you say rolled, flat forged or extruded?? No way a receiver is forged from an S4S chunk of billet. Your "Nerd" status doesn't impress me. Please describe the process from start with finish with pictures. It's not worth arguing about whether or not DD has a foundry or not. They don't. It is about you blowing smoke with nothing to back it up.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    If a company isn’t hand-smelting, and mining the ore for their parts, than they’re not actually making anything. They’re just cutting metal. Doesn’t count.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Go to Brownell's, they're selling a version that doesn't have the lame DD furniture, or poop bronze Cerakote. Very close clone right out of the box.
    Can you pm me a link to that, please?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Just curious, what’s it going for?
    And there’s nothing more proven than DD’s RIS II. I’ll take one of those over the in-vogue ultralight thin freefloat tubes with attachment slots any day.
    You say that, but I have a 14.5” Noveske barreled rifle with a RISII that weighs 10.8lb with a LPVO, WML, and sling, loaded with a 30. It can add up fast, and going forward most of my “build”s will feature a URX4 Mlok.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sometimes some parts do matter. I bought a Dodge diesel truck not because it had Dodge badge on it. But because the engine had a Cummins label. Well maybe also because Dodge has a history (mostly) of not screwing up the Cummins too bad in assembly.

Most rifle companies are probably selling by reputation a “known level of quality” of parts selection and assembly and customer service rather than specific parts. Often though key parts like barrels and bolts can become signature components such as are
    Remington’s 5R barrels, or Savage’s.

As long as a company stands behind their products and the products continue to perform as expected then who cares where the parts come from (aside from political concerns)? That is why it is devastating when a trusted manufacturer changes design, materials, or QC and customers discover by poor results.

I would rather see a company state it’s commitment to quality parts, assembly and service and submit their products to rigorous third party testing. I would like to see key parts marked with a “manufacturer” ID. Not the forge but who is standing behind the finished part? Barrel, receivers, bolt, carrier, trigger group, sights, etc.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    We should remember that manufacturing is not the same as processing. Anodize is a process. Chrome lining is a process. Mag particle is a process. Heat treat is a process. Manufacturing is turning a bolt, or milling a receiver.

These days, especially if dealing with government contracts, many processors require a NADCAP certification to be able to perform their work. It's often not very cost effective for a manufacturer to do processing unless they are dealing with very large contracts with huge volumes of parts or if they are bringing in outside work from other vendors.

Daniel Defense is pretty big, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used outside processors just like pretty much every other manufacturer out there.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast