Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Daniel Defense Manufacturing 99% of Everything In-house

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GAST View Post
    We should remember that manufacturing is not the same as processing. Anodize is a process. Chrome lining is a process. Mag particle is a process. Heat treat is a process. Manufacturing is turning a bolt, or milling a receiver.

These days, especially if dealing with government contracts, many processors require a NADCAP certification to be able to perform their work. It's often not very cost effective for a manufacturer to do processing unless they are dealing with very large contracts with huge volumes of parts or if they are bringing in outside work from other vendors.

Daniel Defense is pretty big, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used outside processors just like pretty much every other manufacturer out there.
    This post is spot on ^^^. Having worked in the aerospace industry and manufacturing for over 25 years I can about guarantee DD uses outside processing. And I'd lay money down that EVERYONE else does too for the very reasons stated here. When we source inspected parts we had to show certifications on all the processes done, inside and outside. WE were responsible for any discrepancies. We were the manufacturer. I'd say the same goes for DD, LMT, BCM and everybody else too.

Having a gun built by someone else with your own name on it like the old Sears and Montgomery Wards back in the day is a completely different animal. That's not what is going on today, not even close.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You didn't answer my question. How do you describe the process that happens before it is as you say rolled, flat forged or extruded?? No way a receiver is forged from an S4S chunk of billet. Your "Nerd" status doesn't impress me. Please describe the process from start with finish with pictures. It's not worth arguing about whether or not DD has a foundry or not. They don't. It is about you blowing smoke with nothing to back it up.
    I'm not sure what you're driving at. When aluminum is processed it's smelted, then cast into ingots. All I'm saying is, don't assume that they simply cut a chunk from the cast ingot and send it straight to the forge. The aluminum may be extruded, flat forged etc. before going to the forge. The flashing is from the forging process. Not the casting process.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GAST View Post
    We should remember that manufacturing is not the same as processing. Anodize is a process. Chrome lining is a process. Mag particle is a process. Heat treat is a process. Manufacturing is turning a bolt, or milling a receiver.

These days, especially if dealing with government contracts, many processors require a NADCAP certification to be able to perform their work. It's often not very cost effective for a manufacturer to do processing unless they are dealing with very large contracts with huge volumes of parts or if they are bringing in outside work from other vendors.

Daniel Defense is pretty big, but it wouldn't surprise me if they used outside processors just like pretty much every other manufacturer out there.
    Milling is a process.

Manufacturing is creating the fininshed product from raw materials. Who controls the processes is the manufacturer, even if one or more pricesses are outsourced.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-21-19 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtorq21 View Post
    Is there a reason before 2020. New law or something?
    We have a presidential election coming in 2020.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456