View Poll Results: Which rifle to make a shooter and which to keep for SHTF?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the 6520 in storage because the restricted markings add to its value

4 36.36%
  • Shoot the 6520 because it won't really become much more valuable

1 9.09%
  • Shoot both: Keep the 6520 to shoot irons and the 6720 for optics

6 54.55%

Thread: To Make a Colt 6520 or a 6720 my everyday shooter?

Feedback Score

To Make a Colt 6520 or a 6720 my everyday shooter?

Last fall I bought a Pennsylvania State Police surplus Colt 6520 with the "restricted" markings on the receiver. Of course it has a fixed carry handle. I shoot irons most of the time, only dragging out a red dot or other optic on occasion to "stay in practice."

I also have a brand new Colt 6720 that I've sighted in with both irons and an RDS. It has the removable carry handle and 1913 rail on the upper (for those that don't know just by the numbers).

I'm wanting to keep one as a "truck gun" and basic shooter while keeping the other one oiled up and in storage as a backup.

Here's my dilemma:

Is the restricted-marked lower receiver on the 6520 enough of a "plus" that I should keep that one in as good a condition as possible in case I decide to sell it later? Being that it has a fixed carry handle and the condition right now I would consider "good plus", I wonder if it will ever be worth more than I paid for it. Add to that the probability that I may have to switch to optics only in a few years due to eyesight like my dad did, and it seems to become even more important to "enjoy irons while I can". I might end up with a gun that's hard to adapt to my eyesight in a few years due to eye issues and that might make me decide to sell it. I have a red dot setup that attaches to the carry handle, and I could "get by" with that for occasional practice, but of course that's not optimal.

On the other hand, I hate to put unnecessary wear and tear on a brand new 6720 when I've got an obviously used gun to shoot and carry at the ranch for everyday. It seems logical to put away the one that's more adaptable to optics and keep it for that day when irons are no longer an option.

The bottom line seems to be: Will the 6520 ever be collectible enough that it behooves me to keep it in as nice a condition as I can? Or should I just shoot it and carry it now while I can still use iron sights? Should I just be prepared to sell it for what I can get if the day ever comes that I have to have optics and a fixed carry handle AR is about useless?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-19-19 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Personally, I shoot the gun that I like the most, a 12.5” BCM Kino on a PSA sbr’d lower. Anything else I own, I own because I think it/they are “cool” or as a backup for when I’m crossing into occupied territory where my SBR cannot go.

So shoot the gun you like to shoot, and either keep the other one because you have a collector complex (not a slam, I tend to have this), or because it will serve some purpose in the future.
    There’s no right answer here, and no one really knows if a used 6520 will be worth any more or less than a 6720 in the future.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I refuse to own a gun I don’t shoot.
    It’s like marrying a woman you don’t ravish.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I refuse to own a gun I don’t shoot.
    It’s like marrying a woman you don’t ravish.
    I get it. But I'm one of those prepper type dudes that "two is one and one is none". I had to sight in and vet the 6720 before I even accepted that I "own" it, but in the grand scheme of things whether we're talking about firearms or bags of Cheetos--I gotta have spares. I'd have a spare truck and house if I could afford it--LOL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I get it. But I'm one of those prepper type dudes that "two is one and one is none". I had to sight in and vet the 6720 before I even accepted that I "own" it, but in the grand scheme of things whether we're talking about firearms or bags of Cheetos--I gotta have spares. I'd have a spare truck and house if I could afford it--LOL.
    What if your hero day never comes?

You will have spent your life nervous and hoarding.

Not me. I highly doubt that any huge tragedy will befall me and if it does then I just deal with it.

I am at a curious age where I actually need less guns and don’t care about much. Like. Once you hit Middle age, nothing really seems so important.

You spend your whole life surviving but not really living. I am on a tech forum stating clearly that on AR is more than enough, get repair parts, make more friends, amd dont get caught on the details.

Burt Gummer was a cartoon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What if your hero day never comes?
    Obviously you can carry it to a ridiculous degree, but like insurance you pay into it for years and may never need it.

I like the security of knowing if a gun kabooms or gets stolen or whatever that I've got a spare.

Feedback Score
    With the flat top 6720 you have the versatility of being able to use iron sights right now while you can enjoy them, and then easily switch to an optic when/if the day comes where your eyes need that. I voted to store the 6520 but I don't know whether it'll rise in value or not. I think having 2 is good in the event that one goes down and you have to wait for a new part or something.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doc, the answer is so obvious, I'm surprised you haven't seen it for yourself- Buy another Colt.

One for Rancho del Safari
    One for the truck
    And one to seed your retro collection. For this, I suggest the 6520

Shoot them all.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-19-19 at 12:15.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Doc, the answer is so obvious, I'm surprised you haven't seen it for yourself- Buy another Colt.

One for Rancho del Safari
    One for the truck
    And one to seed your retro collection. For this, I suggest the 6520

Shoot them all.
    Truth be told I actually have more than one 6720. I bought one last fall with all the appropriate "C" markings on the BCG and upper.

The one I'm thinking of turning into my shooter did not have a "C" on the bolt carrier and the upper says "13629".

I was just wondering if the "restricted" marking on the 6520's lower was significant enough that I'm putting ammo through a potential collectible long-term if I make it my shooter.

I'm leaning toward making the most recent 6720 the shooter just in case.

I had considered the fact that the 6520 does have some wear, and, "why put wear on another rifle?" But then the question of whether that 6520 might turn out to be collectible in a few years comes up.

I think the "safe" thing is to swallow hard and be willing to smack the pretty off a new rifle versus one that already has some wear. Collectible or not the 6520 probably is irreplaceable since it's a discontinued model and the "restricted" motto is discontinued as well. That's betting with the odds.

I know it's not NIB but it's in good shape. I've watched other Colts accrue in value because they were discontinued models.

Yeah, it's hard not to let that be the flagship of a retro collection.

I think I've made up my mind.

Thanks for everybody's input!
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-19-19 at 14:44.