Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 308 AR... PWS, KAC or something else?

Feedback Score
    The only large frame AR’s I have any experience with are a LW barreled Larue OBR and a LMT MWS. The Larue was an accurate rifle but we would get a lot of popped primers and stuck cases on longer strings of fire. ML didn’t want to address the issue so that rifle was sold rather quickly with full disclosure. I bought a used MWS last fall. Shooting 168gr FGMM I shot 15 5 shot groups and it averaged roughly MOA with the cl barrel. 15 5 shot groups from an 18” SS barrel has averaged roughly .75 MOA also with 168 gr FGMM. I say roughly because I don’t have the on target software. The SS barrel is more consistent as it heats up than the CL.

I know its not a high round count but I’ve shot about 300 FGMM, almost 500 168 gr magtec, and a couple hundred or so hand loads. So far no stuck cases or any other malfunctions. POI shift when swapping barrels has been consistent. 1.5 moa elevation and 1 moa windage. I did this 3x just for kicks to see if it was repeatable.

The only gripe I have is that the p-mags and Lancers I have don’t drop free.

I’m a big boy, the weight doesn’t bother me.

If you’re patient, ~$2k will get you a used MWS.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Should have picked up a South American LMT MWS for $1799. That was a hall of fame deal. I wish I would have bought two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spatten View Post
    Should have picked up a South American LMT MWS for $1799. That was a hall of fame deal. I wish I would have bought two.
    When was this... I would have bought two and blamed the 2nd on the upcoming election.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    There are getting to be more options through a wider price range, but some of them are newer so they isn’t a ton of data on them. Of course KAC is considered top-tier (quality, performance, price, etc). LMT is proven quality, many options, and a great value. M&P10 has been around for a while. Then you have Larue, DPMS, and maybe another one or two in which I have no interest. Newer offerings from Sons of Liberty, American Defense, Daniel Defense, Centurion (in future), and BAD (if you’re into it) are worth checking out. It’s not an impossible task to build your own with some research, and there are plenty of options this route. Then there is also B&T APC308 (13”, 14.5”, 18”), Scar 17, and CZ Bren II 308 if piston guns with controls similar to an AR platform interest you.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    double
    Last edited by TXBK; 03-07-19 at 08:04.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first 308 AR. I'm looking for something quality. I'm aware of PWS since I have a 5.56 from them and I'm aware of KAC because... well, KAC. Are there other brands I should be looking at? Of these two (or others), what is considered the "best"?

My uses are generally short range <300 yards shooting.
    Sent you a PM with a good idea for you.

I made a recommendation on an LMT MWS that I'm personally familiar with.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-08-19 at 16:45.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/mlkmws

New mws’ @ $2299 kinda ends the discussion IMHO

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    https://lmtdefense.com/firearms/mlkmws

New mws’ @ $2299 kinda ends the discussion IMHO
    So, that's basically the old MWS with MLOK minus SOPMOD stock and 2-stage trigger? Awesome price! And I just spent $1k on a MARS-H lower.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. Hoping the prices of used quad railed ones fall into the $1500 range

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first 308 AR. I'm looking for something quality. I'm aware of PWS since I have a 5.56 from them and I'm aware of KAC because... well, KAC. Are there other brands I should be looking at? Of these two (or others), what is considered the "best"?

My uses are generally short range <300 yards shooting.
    I run the MWS and SR25. Both solid performers. The MWS was uber reliable before I started dicking with it and modifying it, and then spent a decent amount of time and money trying to get it to run optimally again. However, out of the box it was good to go. If I had to choose one over the other I'd give the edge to the SR25 primarily due to the noticeable weight savings, especially if doing a lot of hiking with it. Performance-wise they're about equal in terms of reliability and accuracy, and the MWS does have the advantage of being able to quick change barrels and having a sturdier monolithic upper chassis. It's like trying to choose a favorite between your kids. It's great to have options.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast