Thread: Identification of Colt M4 model

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Identification of Colt M4 model

Stopped by a local big box gun store and came across a used Colt M4. The lower is marked M4 with an LE prefix on the serial number, and it has the QR-code looking mark. The barrel itself is stamped “C,” though the bolt carrier is not and the bolt just has “MP.”

What has thrown me off, though, is the barrel, which is 16” without cutouts/notches,the standard gov’t profile width in front of the hand guard, but what looks like a heavier profile under the hand guards.

Can anyone help me out with what I was looking at? Sorry, I didn’t grab pictures. The salesperson was busy poo-pooing Colt.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Identification of Colt M4 model

How much were they asking for it? Wondering if was an Expanse?

And regarding the the salesman, let me guess, “dude this Bushmaster or Wyndham is top tier and way better than Colt...”? Which he/she may have a point if an Expanse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by arptsprt; 02-19-19 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    “I don’t know why everyone makes a big deal about Colt and has to have the name”

It was priced at $607, but it has the LE prefix and some proof marks, so I don’t believe it’s an Expanse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    “I don’t know why everyone makes a big deal about Colt and has to have the name”
    Here's my perspective. From 2010 to 2018 I was a dedicated BCM fanboy. Even though I have no doubt about BCM's quality, the "Colt" name long-term tends to cause an AR to hold its value better. I know some people are going to argue with this, but that's been my experience, and as evidenced in another thread, Grant's experience too IIRC.

In 2018 I made the decision to go "all Colt all the time" even though I had to sell my BCM's to do it.

I'm over 50 years old. Chances are in 10-15 years I won't need to keep most of the firearms I've got because I can't possibly live long enough to wear all of them out. At some point I'll probably sell all but enough for a bare minimum for home defense. So I'd like the ones I liquidate to have held onto their value, and my experience indicates that "Colt" is the only game in town for this. I'm not at all knocking Noveske, LMT, or any other top tier brand. It's just been my experience that Colt holds its monetary value to collectors even if other brands are entirely acceptable as shooters.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-19-19 at 15:52.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Expanse barrels were marked "5.56 NATO 1/7 C" and are 4150 non-chrome lined. I would've also checked the FCG as well. The 6721 has a heavy barrel but is marked "CMP 5.56 NAT0 1/9 HBAR". Sounds more like an Expanse or somebody's put together.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Agree. Especially at the $607 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Sounds more like an Expanse or somebody's put together.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Expanses I’ve seen had M4 Carbine rollmarks and LE prefix S/N.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    It was priced at $607, but it has the LE prefix and some proof marks, so I don’t believe it’s an Expanse.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I might take another look later, but sounds a little sketchy. The barrel markings were as described for the Expanse.

And Doc, I’m with you on Colt. That was just a quote of the salesperson.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Looks like we were typing at the same time. Thanks for the clarification, definitely going to pass.