Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Forward Sling Attachment Point do you use:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Which Forward Sling Attachment Point do you use:

Which Forward Sling Attachment Point do you use:

Left handed shooters 9 o'clock equals 3 o'clock for a lefty.

1) 9 o'clock as far forward on the rail as possible;

2) 6 o'clock as far foward on the rail as possible;

3) 9 o'clock as far back on the rail as possible;

4) 9 o'clock intermediate on the rail;

5) 6 o'clock intermediate on the rail;

6) Single points forevah;

7) Sling? I doan need no freakin' sling.

List the perceived the pro's and con's of your choice.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3) 9 o'clock as far back on the rail as possible;
    This seems most ideal for carbine setup..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have sling mounts at 9 o’clock at both the forward and rear end of the rail.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use the one on the FSB. Because it's there.
    I have two point slings on all my ARs that see routine use, but I normally keep them S-folded with sling bundlers to avoid them snagging on things, particularly in a vehicle. A quick pull on the sling and it's ready to use.

For a little while a few years back though I had a Magpul SL M-lok handguard and used a QD sling mount at the 9 o'clock position, far back on the handguard. This worked fine for the most part except for one thing.
    I'm not very tactical, and while I believe strongly in slings for long guns my use of them is very basic. For me it really is primarily a carrying strap for when I need my hands free for some other task. When I sling an AR, it's usually just over my left shoulder, with the muzzle up, or down as the situation dictates.
    With a 9 o'clock sling mount far back on the handguard I found that when slung muzzle up over my shoulder the gun wouldn't stay as vertically oriented and thus could become an encumbrance or could result in the muzzle waving around or sometimes pointing almost behind me, depending on how I was positioned, so I was constantly reaching back to "restrain" the rifle while I moved, which defeated much of the purpose of a sling for me.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    This:

"3) 9 o'clock as far back on the rail as possible"

Add: I run an endplate with QD socket as well.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-20-19 at 06:33.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    This:

"3) 9 o'clock as far back on the rail as possible"
    Me too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Proctor sling gets:

1) 9 o'clock as far forward on the rail as possible;

QD I go intermediate, but using one of the offset female QD mounts on the top rail so somewhere around 10:30?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    11 o’clock, right behind my hand position.

I use either the 11 o’clock mlok area to mount an arisaka qd. On rails with only a 12,3,6,9 I put something like a Wilson combat qd on the top rail. Being a 45d attachment it’s in the 11 o’clock position.

I find it’s also nice to have another qd all the way forward by the muzzle at the 9 o’clock. I use it for carrrying over my back keeping the muzzle up away from the ground. Not for running and gunning. It’s a nice option, though from a price stand point I don’t add it often.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Actually about 10:30, I use the Magpul offset QD adapter, about half way down the rail and a QD on the back of the lower. I prefer the sling behind my support hand.

Feedback Score
    9 o'clock far back on the rail.

I use this because on the 11.5" upper it keep the sling out of the way of my grip... and there is already a built in socket there on the rail so I don't need to complicate my life. The other end goes into a QD endplate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast