Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS rules unanimously on asset seizure/excessive fines

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

SCOTUS rules unanimously on asset seizure/excessive fines

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on just her second day back on the bench after undergoing cancer surgery in December, announced the decision for the court, saying that the 8th Amendment’s Excessive Fines Clause protects against government retribution.

“For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties,” Ginsburg wrote. “Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies . . . Even absent a political motive, fines may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence.”

"Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in a recent opinion that civil forfeitures have “become widespread and highly profitable.”

“This system — where police can seize property with limited judicial oversight and retain it for their own use — has led to egregious and well-chronicled abuses,” Thomas wrote, referring to reporting by The Washington Post and the New Yorker."

RGB is back.

Asset seizure and excessive fines takes a hit.

Read more here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9e170dbd8816
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately your link has a "disable ad blocker wall."

If I understand the decision correctly, though, this is definitely a win for freedom.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Unfortunately your link has a "disable ad blocker wall."
    Use the incog feature of your browser if it has one. I would agree with the win for freedom.

Feedback Score
    One step forward, two steps back...
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    What’s the downside here? This puts gun/ammo taxes (and other “sin taxes”) and red flag laws on questionable ground.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    What’s the downside here? This puts gun/ammo taxes (and other “sin taxes”) and red flag laws on questionable ground.
    I’m guessing here, but perhaps he is referencing RBG being back on the bench...?

I’m all for this ruling and don’t see a downside to it. That it was unanimous, gives a glimmer of hope for Liberty.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 02-20-19 at 11:36.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Exactly. I see that you are are thinking big picture...... NICE!
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    I wonder how The Witch would feel if we seized the property of all illegal aliens before deporting them? These are all ill-gotten assets.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There is no downside to this ruling. Score one for We the People.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Good ruling.

Time to put many corrupt LEO agencies in their place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast