Thread: ruger mpr reliability?

Feedback Score

ruger mpr reliability?

I really like the features of this rifle. I have read everything out there on it. I see lots of problems with reliability. I see some reviews seem to show the early run problems as having been fixed. Can anyone out there confirm?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mpr’s used un-shrouded bcgs. If that is still the case, I would avoid the mpr unless you have spare bcg lying around.

I wouldn’t risk my $$ on one. My cheapy Psa and Bca uppers run better than the Mpr upper.

For me, I’d save a little longer and build a nice rifle with a larue trigger and other quality parts

Ruger tried to offer a lot of nice features at a low price but they didn’t vet it first before putting it out.

A coworker got an mpr. He spent another $170 or so to get a bcm bcg. Runs ok now

2/21/19 - Damn....mpr has 20 reviews on buds guns and it averages 5 stars. Maybe my coworker got a lemon. The weird is it worked fine on the first trip. The problems came up on the 2nd trip.

After swapping parts with my Ar to try and isolate the problem, the range officer found the Ruger bcg would work in my bcm upper and the bcm bcg would work in the ruger upper but the ruger upper with the ruger bcg would not work.

My coworker noticed the ruger bcg had a slightly steeper angle on the bottom and thought it was a little more harder to pull the charging handle compared to the bcm bcg.

My guess is the bcm upper was mid length gas and had enough pressure to cycle the “steeper” ruger bcg and the ruger had rifle gas which didn’t have quite enough gas to cycle the ruger bcg.

My theory is the gas block isn’t on securely and shifted a little so the port is now partially blocked. Which would explain why the Mpr worked on the 1st trip but not the 2nd trip

2/21/19
    You can put together a psa rifle kit with a larue trigger for approx $550, an hour of your time and some tools from a friend
    $380 - psa build kit (223 wylde, polished trigger, moe furniture, front & rear mbus, rifle length gas, 18” barrel, 15” mlok rail)
    $95 - larue trigger
    $70 - stripped lower
    Entry spr for fun at the range.

Or catch a deal on your local classifieds or the consignment case at the local lgs. Jan - Feb have a lot of guys selling nice rifles at good prices to pay off Xmas bills. Recently saw a DD go for $750
    Last edited by tim808; 02-22-19 at 03:37. Reason: Read a little more about the mpr

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I don't have any personal experience with that rifle but it looks good on paper. That's a lot of rifle for 600 bucks. If the carrier/FP is unshrouded and you want to change it a Toolcraft BCG/158C bolt can be had for $75. Would I take it into battle? No, but I can't see why it wouldn't be a nice range toy.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a clunker then, thanksfor the info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are some things that Ruger gets right, but a halfway decent AR is not one of them. I managed a gun store for two years, and we got some of the Ruger MPR's in when they initially came out - owner's decision not mine - because they were cheap. Nothing about these rifles is anything close to mil-spec, and the overall build quality was atrocious in my opinion. Frankly, I was disappointed in Ruger for putting these on the market.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Besides price, what specs interested you?

Feedback Score
    Rifle length gas, free float, chf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
    Rifle length gas, free float, chf
    CHF barrel is 4140 steel and not chrome or nitride, just phosphate.

If you want something quality with CHF chrome lined barrel and free float I would recommend upping your budget a little and get the new Centurion Arms compete rifle. It's $995 and the best deal going for what you get quality wise.

The barrel is 16'' but why bother with 18''unless you want an SPR type. I only have 16'' and down for my 556 rifles now. My 18" was changed out to 6.5g for better hunting/long range uses

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
    I really like the features of this rifle. I have read everything out there on it. I see lots of problems with reliability. I see some reviews seem to show the early run problems as having been fixed. Can anyone out there confirm?

Thanks
    S&W M&P 15 sport II is in the same price range and has much better reliability. I own one and have zero complaint. Carbine length gas tube and somewhat over gassed to ensure reliability with variety of ammo. Only mod I did was change to H1 buffer for "better" felt recoil

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk