Thread: Cutting down barrel for Remington 100?

Feedback Score

Cutting down barrel for Remington 100?

I have a Remington 1100 from the early 80's, I have an extra 26" barrel with a Poly Choke on it that I do not use.
    If I were to cut it down to 18" or 20" would it function reliably with the shorter barrel?

Title should say Remington 1100
    Last edited by sierra 223; 02-21-19 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not sure.

Have you looked in to selling it and buying the shorter barrel? If the poly choke is factory I would think you would come out ahead on the money end of it.

Feedback Score
    Yea I have thought about it. I saved up my money as a kid and sent the barrel off to Poly Choke.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would think that would be viewed about the same as factory to a potential buyer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    I have a Remington 1100 from the early 80's, I have an extra 26" barrel with a Poly Choke on it that I do not use.
    If I were to cut it down to 18" or 20" would it function reliably with the shorter barrel?

Title should say Remington 1100
    Remington sold the 1100 as having a 'self-regulating' gas system. They also sold an 1100 tactical with 18" and 22" barrels.

I don't think you would have any problem firing buckshot or slugs out of the thing. Shouldn't with light loads either, as long as you take care of the gas system. Light loads might give some folks problems if they don't mount the gun firmly (even though it is gas not recoil operated).

I don't have much experience withe the 1100 Tactical Models, a lot more with the 11-87. The only really major problems I saw with the 11-87 was an agency that had them shortened to 14 inches and was trying to use them as less-lethal shotguns. Don't know whose bright idea it was, or even what possessed the 'gunsmith' who cut down and back bored the barrels to think they would function less-lethal cartridges. Did not work - at all. Ate up Federal reduced recoil OOB, though.

Unless you feel the barrel has extra value with the poly choke (I wouldn't think so - they are ugly and old school IMO) I wouldn't hesitate to have a gunsmith cut the barrel down. If it is a vent rib that will impact the length. If the barrel wall is thick enough at the length cut, I'd have it threaded for screw in choke.

ETA: Your shotgun may be old enough that it doesn't have the newer gas system - if it starts to give you trouble here is a link to the new one - https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...d-service-kit- (watch the video)
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-22-19 at 00:04.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks for info. Yea the poly chokes are ugly and mine does have the older gas rings. I didnt even consider the vent rib.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you cut down the barrel, the 1100 would have to look at least as nice with ghost rings as this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bstmkc4h1hU/

Feedback Score
    I have always loved the vent ribs.