Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt History Questions

Feedback Score

Colt History Questions

This is just out of curiosity.

I owned some Colt Sporters in the 1990's then took about a ten-year break before owning another Colt AR.

1. What year did Colt discontinue the "double screw" front takedown pin (or variations thereof), and go to the standard, proper one?

2. What year did Colt start installing the proper M16 bolt carriers in their AR's and not SP1 carriers with unshrouded firing pins and cut down rear shrouds?

3. I'm assuming that all modern Colts have the proper M16 bolt carrier and there isn't some oddball 5.56 model still being produced with nonstandard bolt carriers?

4. What year did Colt start using standard sized FCG pins?

5. What year did Colt stop installing a separate auto sear block and went to simply not machining out the "web" in the lower receiver where the auto sear would have gone?

6. Are there any parts still in a Colt AR that are there to make it a legal semi-auto, but might cause some sort of reliability problem due to it not being the actual military part?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should be able to figure it out by googling the models listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rifle_variants

or here: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/ Get busy youngish man!

maybe your best bet, got to go behind enemy lines, though: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/123-304266/?

Also, you would probably enjoy the Vickers Guides.

Good luck!
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    If you check out Chris Bartocci youtube he has a few videos on Colt and their history. Not sure all the answers would be in the vids, but they have pretty good info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Assuming the full auto bolt carrier was after this letter.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-328749.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    If you check out Chris Bartocci youtube he has a few videos on Colt and their history. Not sure all the answers would be in the vids, but they have pretty good info
    He does have some very informative videos. I've only been able to watch a few unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Assuming the full auto bolt carrier was after this letter.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-328749.html
    That letter is a farce of ambiguity. Leave it to the dot-guv to say nothing while appearing to say something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If there is a way to determine when the who does what to milspec vs. who doesn't list started floating around I think the changes were slightly before that. I think the changes may have been after losing some government contracts to FN also.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    1. What year did Colt discontinue the "double screw" front takedown pin (or variations thereof), and go to the standard, proper one?
    About 1999 but some lowers were drilled for a pushpin before that.

2. What year did Colt start installing the proper M16 bolt carriers in their AR's and not SP1 carriers with unshrouded firing pins and cut down rear shrouds?
    Around 2007

3. I'm assuming that all modern Colts have the proper M16 bolt carrier and there isn't some oddball 5.56 model still being produced with nonstandard bolt carriers?
    All of them should have a regular M16 carrier

4. What year did Colt start using standard sized FCG pins?
    About 2009

5. What year did Colt stop installing a separate auto sear block and went to simply not machining out the "web" in the lower receiver where the auto sear would have gone?
    About 1998

6. Are there any parts still in a Colt AR that are there to make it a legal semi-auto, but might cause some sort of reliability problem due to it not being the actual military part?
    A notched semi auto type 2 hammer intended to be used with an exposed firing pin semi carrier. Colt still puts this crap in the lower. It can be replaced with a type 1 semi auto hammer from Specialized Armament.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ME

. What year did Colt start using standard sized FCG pins?

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

About 2009
    I bought a "restricted marked" 6520 last fall that was purchased for the PA State Police (I have provenance). Colt says it was made in 2009. Being purchased by a law enforcement agency, do you think it has standard sized pins being that it was a dedicated law enforcement firearm?

A notched semi auto type 2 hammer intended to be used with an exposed firing pin semi carrier. Colt still puts this crap in the lower. It can be replaced with a type 1 semi auto hammer from Specialized Armament.
    Are you saying my LE6920 bought last fall probably has this hammer?

What problems might it cause?

(I know there are other sources on the net, but for convenience if you have pics and would like to post them, I think the readers would appreciate it).
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-22-19 at 15:41.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I bought a "restricted marked" 6520 last fall that was purchased for the PA State Police (I have provenance). Colt says it was made in 2009. Being purchased by a law enforcement agency, do you think it has standard sized pins being that it was a dedicated law enforcement firearm?

Is this one of the Canadian marked 6520s? If so, it is probably large pin.

Are you saying my LE6920 bought last fall probably has this hammer?
    Yes

See this link

http://www.specializedarmament.com/%...emi-auto-only/

What problems might it cause?
    Does not allow the bottom of the carrier to slide smoothly over the hammer.
    Last edited by scottryan; 02-22-19 at 15:51.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast