Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel choice for shooting steel exclusively

Feedback Score

Barrel choice for shooting steel exclusively

If I’m shooting steel exclusively, would it make sense to spring for a barrel that’s CL or would it make sense to cut costs and go with something else? It’s going to replace my barrel that’s on my LE6920. I’ve had no issues with Wolf Steel in 1.5k rounds and just got another 1k of them. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So, 1.5k rounds is NOTHING. That said, if you’re going to shoot on the cheap and long distance accuracy isn’t a worry, save your money for the next barrel. Chrome lined isn’t expensive these days. Why are you replacing the barrel?
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    So, 1.5k rounds is NOTHING. That said, if you’re going to shoot on the cheap and long distance accuracy isn’t a worry, save your money for the next barrel. Chrome lined isn’t expensive these days. Why are you replacing the barrel?
    I know it’s nothing, I bought this gun used from my friend who’s had well over 5k through it before me. Im expecting rounds to start keyholing sooner or later. I just want to be prepared when I go to buy.

Feedback Score
    Did you really have no trouble in 1.5k rounds? I've never shot Wolf 223 because I got sick of duds in my SKS in 7.62. Been running Tula and no problem either caliber.

Back on topic, are you trying to save your Colt barrel for later or is it in need of replacement now? I saw a test that even a cheap barrel was good for at least 3-4k rounds

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedamageinc View Post
    Did you really have no trouble in 1.5k rounds? I've never shot Wolf 223 because I got sick of duds in my SKS in 7.62. Been running Tula and no problem either caliber.

Back on topic, are you trying to save your Colt barrel for later or is it in need of replacement now? I saw a test that even a cheap barrel was good for at least 3-4k rounds
    I’m going off the luckygunner testing, I know those were harsh conditions but I just use it as a baseline. And yeah fortunately wolf has been nothing but great for me, I’ve been shooting it for a good bit with no extraction issues, even when swapping between brass and steel.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Buy any barrel you want. But wait until it starts key holing . You may be surprised as it might be a minute.
    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It should have some life left in it, even if you bought it at 5k and have put another 1500 through it. That said, I do consider chrome lined to be a baseline.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Definitely wait until it needs replaced but I would go chrome personally. They are not much more than cheaper nitride even for a decent brand. Sionics and green mountain chrome lined barrels are both good and around 180$ usually. You can catch the green mountains on sale for 30% off sometimes

I prefer the Sionics as the gas port is the correct size for a midlength 16"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a Green Mountain Barrel fan.

You aren't reall specific about what you are going to do other than 'it's going to replace replace my barrel that’s on my LE6920.' Based on that I'm ass-u-me-ing that you are going with a carbine length system and an A2 FSB. If so, this baby be your huckleberry:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m51-...bly-1-7-twist/

If not, then this mid-length won't break the bank: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-1...ystem-5-56-mm/

If you can afford $30.00 more: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m37-...ystem-5-56-mm/

I have the M4 assembly listed first, less than 1,000 through it but shoots very nice with an A5HO buffer (same weight as an H buffer).

I also have several Green Mountain stainless barrels in .223 Wylde - they are sub MOA barrels with factory Hornady 62gr Black Match - don't see any reason the 5.56 stainless would not be a good shooter based on that.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-21-19 at 22:17.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I am a Green Mountain Barrel fan.

You aren't reall specific about what you are going to do other than 'it's going to replace replace my barrel that’s on my LE6920.' Based on that I'm ass-u-me-ing that you are going with a carbine length system and an A2 FSB. If so, this baby be your huckleberry:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m51-...bly-1-7-twist/

If not, then this mid-length won't break the bank: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-1...ystem-5-56-mm/

If you can afford $30.00 more: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m37-...ystem-5-56-mm/

I have the M4 assembly listed first, less than 1,000 through it but shoots very nice with an A5HO buffer (same weight as an H buffer).

I also have several Green Mountain stainless barrels in .223 Wylde - they are sub MOA barrels with factory Hornady 62gr Match - don't see any reason the 5.56 stainless would not be a good shooter based on that.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. It’s a 16inch carbine length has system, Ive moved to a low profile gas block rather than the A2. I’d like to keep the gas system carbine but no A2 as my rail doesn’t support that. I’ve heard good things about faxon too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast