Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building an 11.5" AR Pistol, need suggestions for lower receiver setup

Feedback Score

Building an 11.5" AR Pistol, need suggestions for lower receiver setup

Hey guys,

I'm going to be picking up an Adams Arms 11.5" P2 5.56 upper here soon, but I'd like to piece together my own lower.
    I'm not 21 yet, so I'm going to need to finish it off an 80%. I generally like to just buy full finished rifles, but in this case I don't have a choice.

Anyone got suggestions for which parts I should get for the lower? What's the "Best" 80% lower out there? What's a decent trigger that's better than a stock trigger but won't break the bank? (CMC perhaps)
    What's a good recoil spring? Should I go with a slightly upgraded option? Or will that maybe cause cycling issues and I should just go with a stock one?

Apart from that I know i'll be getting an SB Tactical brace and a Magpul K2 grip.

Thank you!
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    Do you have access to a personally owned milling machine? If not, milling out a 80 lower is a rather difficult proposition. A drill press will not necessarily suffice, either.

Are you completely committed to an 11.5”?
    Why don’t you buy a 14.5” that’s pinned or a 16”? You can then legally own it as well ( assuming you are a in a free state and that you are 18).
    Just some thoughts. An 80 lower can be a serious source of frustration

Feedback Score
    5D Tactical makes one of the best Jigs out there IMO

Larue MBT trigger at $87 is the best deal going by far for a trigger

Can i ask why the Adams Arms upper? Just curious and there are many other quality options with better vetted companies like BCM, Sionics, Colt, Etc..

You will probably want to run at least an H2 but that is going to depend on how the barrel is gassed. I would just stick with a regular recoil spring from colt, bcm, etc and make sure the gas system/buffer combo is good

Feedback Score
    Buy a stripped lower. The lower doesn't know if it's going to be a pistol or rifle when you get it. An 80% lower is not easy. You'll need jig's, drill press, luck and time. You'll still be too young for the completed 80% lower when it becomes a pistol.

Aero Precision is my go to for most builds. Build the upper yourself too. https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/

I use SB Tactical SBA3 brace of my 5 pistols. I've tried the others but it's the best for me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why are you all giving this kid advice on how to skirt the law on a public forum? This is the stuff the look for to support more firearms laws.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What makes you think Woohah is skirting the law? What is the law in his jurisdiction concerning his possession of a pistol? What is the law in his jurisdiction concerning the making of a receiver for a pistol? What is the federal law concerning the making of a receiver for a pistol by a person under the age of 21? Is there any law prohibiting a person under the age of 21 from making or possessing a pistol? If so, what it's that law?

Woohah, how old are you? What is your situation? Are you at least 18? Do you live with your parents? If you live with your parents, how do they feel about this project? Is it legal in your justification for you to possess a handgun?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Prince View Post
    Why are you all giving this kid advice on how to skirt the law on a public forum? This is the stuff the look for to support more firearms laws.
    Exactly, there is no difference between buying a lower or doing an 80% if you are prohibited from owning a pistol. My suggestion was buy a stripped lower, save the headache and when he's 21 he can own it legally.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Federal law does not prohibit a person under the age of 21 from possessing a handgun. Federal law prohibits the sale of a handgun to a person under the age of 21 by a dealer.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    His location states Washington. I am assuming Washington State. The just raised the age to purchase a semi automatic rifle in Washington State from 18 to 21. The op said he normally purchases complete rifles but "I'm not 21 yet, so I'm going to need to finish it off an 80%." Sounds like he can't legally buy a finished lower.
    Last edited by Just Prince; 02-22-19 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    I have two 16" AR carbines already. One is set up with a dot sight and the other I'm going to be getting a 1-6x LPVO for.
    For this I want a compact CQBR, eventually I'll be putting a LAW folding stock adapter on it as well.

I have access to a drilling mill. I wouldn't want to finish an 80% without one.
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast