Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Cassette" Drop In type triggers...educate me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Got the straight for my 3lb & curved on the 4lb. I dunno if I imagine it or not..but that straight trigger feels SOOO much better imo.
    Mine are straight, first straight triggers on an AR I've owned. It's almost like the straight trigger makes the trigger feel lighter and more crisp.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Mine are straight, first straight triggers on an AR I've owned. It's almost like the straight trigger makes the trigger feel lighter and more crisp.
    I agree. Plus..added benefit of looking a little.."trick". A lot of quasi-shooters never saw a straight trigger before. A bud of mine today hadnt.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since I was curious, I separated the lower with the Timney cassette trigger assembly and grabbed a spent small rifle primer from the collection bin.

I dropped the primer into the lower about 25 times, attempting to get it into a position to lock it up. No dice.

Thinking the primer was too large, I re-started the process with an anvil, and the hammer fell an additional ~25 times. I was able to get the anvil underneath the cassette a few times (and tried getting it into different positions each time), but not into a position to cause an issue.

My testing was hardly exhaustive, but it's clear to me that a loose primer or anvil is unlikely to lock up the trigger assembly.

In roughly 30 years of shooting, I've never had a primer leave the case (but it's certainly possible).

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Since I was curious, I separated the lower with the Timney cassette trigger assembly and grabbed a spent small rifle primer from the collection bin.

I dropped the primer into the lower about 25 times, attempting to get it into a position to lock it up. No dice.

Thinking the primer was too large, I re-started the process with an anvil, and the hammer fell an additional ~25 times. I was able to get the anvil underneath the cassette a few times (and tried getting it into different positions each time), but not into a position to cause an issue.

My testing was hardly exhaustive, but it's clear to me that a loose primer or anvil is unlikely to lock up the trigger assembly.

In roughly 30 years of shooting, I've never had a primer leave the case (but it's certainly possible).
    I have tested my Wilson TTU trigger in pretty much in the same way and got the same results, no stuck primer trigger malfunctions. I am sure it’s possible, but I am not to concerned about it happening with my trigger. It makes sense to test them though, as some brands may be more prone to getting a primer stuck, even if the odds are pretty slim against it.
    Last edited by Biggy; 02-27-19 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Cassette type triggers accumulate crud and can catch a blown primer.
    A blown primer can shut down a bone stock M16, M4, 6920, or even a Mk46 or 249.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post

I appreciate this info, and I believe there are some old rumors & lies about drop in triggers, that may well be hold overs from when they were first invented, IF even then. Ive used Velocity's and have shot some G triggers & a couple others. No way anyone can try or use them all. In my 45 + years of shooting I too, have never had a popped primer. so even IF that were that it would lock it up- I think its a rare enough situation as to be nothing for me to worry about.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I have had a blown primer wind up under a Geissele SSA-E and completely lock it up. It only happen once to me in my shooting career but it did happen. Now I'm running a couple of Velocity 3 lb triggers. So far so good. I didn't switch because of the lock up, I just wanted a crisp single stage at a reasonable price.
    I have as well.. BUT.. it would have happened with a GI trigger as well. Don't shoot shit non-crimped primer ammo for self defense or battle and it's really not an issue.

Personally, I love 2 stage triggers so it Geissele or Larue for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have as well.. BUT.. it would have happened with a GI trigger as well. Don't shoot shit non-crimped primer ammo for self defense or battle and it's really not an issue.

Personally, I love 2 stage triggers so it Geissele or Larue for me.
    The ammo I blew the primer on was, believe or not, some genuine 1967 M193 (can't remember who made it, maybe Remington). It was pretty hot...chrono'd a little over 3300 fps out of a 20".

Feedback Score
    I personally like the ability to play with spring weight on triggers like Geissele/ALG over the cassettes but that’s pretty arbitrary.

I’ve blown two primers with Fiocchi, had one of the primers get stuck under my ALG trigger group and lock up the gun requiring the pins to get punched out.

My friend’s Hornady duty ammo had multiple blown primers on his gun, and another guy he works with during training. None got stuck on that range day, but it’s a thing.

Respected dudes like Proctor run the CMC trigger, and when I shot his gun I really liked it. I have to run a GI trigger (or ALG ACT type) for work, but if I didn’t I’d be open to a cassette trigger. Stuff breaks. Have a plan to get another gun up and keep chugging.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123