Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Background Checks: EPIC FAIL with mass shooters

Feedback Score

Background Checks: EPIC FAIL with mass shooters

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...is-california/

.... nearly every mass shooter of the 21st century acquired his guns via a background check rather than a parking lot.

In fact, the only mass shooters who did not acquire their guns via background checks were those who stole them.

The following is a partial list of mass shooters and high profile attackers who acquired their guns via background checks:

Borderline Bar & Grill attacker (November 7, 2018)
    Synagogue attacker (October 27, 2018)
    Parkland high school attacker (February 14, 2018)
    Texas church attacker (November 5, 2017)
    Las Vegas attacker (October 1, 2017)
    the Alexandria attacker (June 14, 2017))
    Orlando attacker (June 12, 2016)
    the UCLA gunman (June 1, 2016))
    the San Bernardino attackers (December 2, 2015)
    the Colorado Springs attacker (October 31, 2015)
    the Umpqua Community College attacker (October 1, 2015)
    Alison Parker’s attacker (August 26, 2015)
    the Lafayette movie theater attacker (July 23, 2015)
    the Chattanooga attacker (July 16, 2015)
    the alleged Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal attacker (Jun 17, 2015)
    the Muhammad Carton Contest attackers (May 3, 2014)
    the Las Vegas cop killers (June 9, 2015)
    the Santa Barbara attacker (May 23, 2014)
    the Fort Hood attacker (April 2, 2014)
    the Arapahoe High School attacker (December 13, 2013)
    the D.C. Navy Yard attacker (September 16, 2013)
    the Aurora movie theater attacker (July 20, 2012)
    Gabby Giffords’ attacker (January 8, 2011)
    the Fort Hood attacker (November 5, 2009)
    the Virginia Tech attacker (April 16, 2007), and many others.
    The list of attackers who acquired their guns via background checks demonstrates the futility of looking at such checks as a way to stop violent attackers.

It must also be noted that California and Illinois have universal background checks, yet such checks did not prevent the February 15, 2019, Aurora, Illinois, factory shooting or the November 7, 2018, Borderline Bar & Grill attack.
    As a part of this story:

Former military leaders are backing more gun control. This may be an indication where the military will side in the event of a nationwide gun confiscation order:

Former military leaders in a coalition with Gabby Giffords are urging Congress to pass the same gun controls that failed in Illinois and California within past few months.
    Roll Call reports that the former leaders include former Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen, former Aghanistan Commander Stanley McChrystal, and “former NSA and CIA director Michael Hayden.”

The group sent a letter to “to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer,” urging broad support for universal background checks.
    Quoting their letter:

A prohibited person with dangerous intent can easily buy a gun over the internet or in a parking lot with no questions asked. For those of us with extensive firearms training, who have seen the damage inflicted by a powerful weapon in the wrong hands, this is simply unfathomable.

The former leaders did not mention universal background checks would do nothing to prevent “a prohibited person” from purchasing a gun in a parking lot or dark alley.
    My take: The only weapon that is effective against lies is to repeat the truth over and over and over and over ............

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Just like politicians (because they are) - their qualifications that allowed them to rise through the ranks doesn’t mean they know shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IL does not have UBCs. We all must have FOID cards, to legally own/purchase firearms or ammo, but there is no legal requirement for private sellers to verify a FOID prior to a sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    IL does not have UBCs. We all must have FOID cards, to legally own/purchase firearms or ammo, but there is no legal requirement for private sellers to verify a FOID prior to a sale.
    You can't legally have a gun in IL with out having had a background check done at some time because you have to check the FOID card.

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/b...n-in-illinois/
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple more showing how background checks and any other infringement on private citizens owning arms won't prevent murders committed with firearms.

http://murderpedia.org/male.L/l/lutes-edward.htm

http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/peterson-tyler.htm
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-22-19 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    You can't legally have a gun in IL with out having had a background check done at some time because you have to check the FOID card.

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/b...n-in-illinois/
    I’m aware of that, but that’s not the same as a UBC. UBCs mean I can’t sell a gun to my best friend without going through an FFL and filling out a 4473, which is not the case here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree that background checks don’t stop maniacs from wreaking havoc in gun free zones, but Breitbart is wrong about IL. Most people are, actually. Yes, we have what is essentially a gun permit, we wait 3 days for handguns (soon to be all firearms), and “assault weapons” are banned in Chicago, but we still have standard capacity magazines throughout the rest of the state. People compare us to CA and NY all the time but for now we’re nowhere near that bad.

But JB is gonna tread all over us

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I agree that background checks don’t stop maniacs from wreaking havoc in gun free zones, but Breitbart is wrong about IL. Most people are, actually. Yes, we have what is essentially a gun permit, we wait 3 days for handguns (soon to be all firearms), and “assault weapons” are banned in Chicago, but we still have standard capacity magazines throughout the rest of the state. People compare us to CA and NY all the time but for now we’re nowhere near that bad.

But JB is gonna tread all over us
    How are all of those Suppressors and SBRs in IL?

But you are correct, Background checks do nothing to prevent crime. Every criminal had a clean background at some point in their life........ even if you have to go all the way back to their birth.........
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    How are all of those Suppressors and SBRs in IL?

But you are correct, Background checks do nothing to prevent crime. Every criminal had a clean background at some point in their life........ even if you have to go all the way back to their birth.........
    Forgot about that one... Yeah my SBA3 keeps me happy but I wish I could own a suppressor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I may have to go back and read the article later, I cant stop laughing at the "those of us with extensive training..." line. As if 50rds of 9mm per year actually counts as training. A few safety bulletins and powerpoints probably counts as the "has seen" portion.

In my day, officers pretty much phoned in the range days other than the junior Lt stuck as OIC. Badged experts too, all of them lol.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast