Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Like Your Road Kill, You Can Eat It

Feedback Score

If You Like Your Road Kill, You Can Eat It

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...226570774.html

New California bill would let drivers legally eat roadkill
    Boldface mine:

You’re driving down the road at night when, out of nowhere, a deer jumps in front of your car. It doesn’t survive. It’d be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, right?

That’s the thinking behind Senate Bill 395, sponsored by Sen. Bob J. Archuleta, D-Montebello.

That bill would amend state law, as well as the Fish and Game Code, to allow drivers of vehicles that fatally strike an animal to retroactively apply for a wildlife salvage permit, at no cost, within 24 hours of the collision. The bill also would allow non-drivers who come across roadkill to salvage the dead animal.

Existing law states that while accidentally killing an animal with a vehicle isn’t illegal, salvaging it is.
    My take: So, you're driving late at night. The nearest McDonald's is a good hour away, but you're starving. As an added bonus, 24 hours later when you get your permit it will be nice and RIPE. Bon Appetit!

Glad to run across this. Fast food joints are getting way too expensive.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-22-19 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think they meant you eat it right then and there

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went to a cook out where I ate deer that was hit by an attendee on their way to said cook out once

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That’s how my old man hunts all his deer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We have a similar law here in Idaho and folks take full advantage of it. Makes great wolf bait, as well

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a friend that supplements his Dogs diets with fresh road kill deer.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    When I deer hunted years ago it was about an hour and half ride to the club. There was a 5 mile stretch of road through a hardwood swamp and during a full moon it wasn't unusual to see 3-4 locals working on roadkill at 3-4 o'clock in the morning. I actually saw an old man chopping of a hindquarter with an axe. People do what the have to do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If You Like Your Road Kill, You Can Eat It

My family has consumed hundreds of pounds of road kill moose. There are so many that the state has a process where we get on a list and they call us when they have one. Since this is 90% in the winter, no real chance of significant spoilage. I just run down with my backhoe and lift them in the back of the truck. Take the home to butcher.

BTW in Alaska, if you hit a moose you don’t get it, someone on the local list does. Stops folks from going after them with junker cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKDoug; 02-22-19 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My family has consumed hundreds of pounds of road kill moose. There are so many that the state has a process where we get on a list and they call us when they have one. Since this is 90% in the winter, no real chance of significant spoilage. I just run down with my backhoe and lift them in the back of the truck. Take the home to butcher.

BTW in Alaska, if you hit a moose you don’t get it, someone on the local list does. Stops folks from going after them with junker cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know someone who used to live in Alaska that mentioned paragraph #1. Part 2 sounds nuts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AKDoug, my wife watches the shows 'Alaska: The Last Frontier' and 'Alaskan Bush People.' Me not so much. But I've seen enough to ask this question: Aside from you, are there any normal people up there??
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast