Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I'm falling apart

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Been managing a rotator cuff issue for the past year so my workouts were pathetically irregular and far between. At the beginning of December I finally got myself disciplined enough to get serious about my workout again. I was feeling great and made some gains in my strength program since. My eating was on point, water intake the best it's ever been. I mean, really doing well. But in the last couple weeks tennis elbow decided it wants to join the party. Being that I had no grip strength and it hurt like crazy I took time off to let it heal. I'm bummed and feeling setback. To top it off, this year I'll be 40. What the heck, is this what 39 is? Just parts stop working?
    Diet & Genetic Predisposition combined with Habits

Of the three you control two.

Do so.

I’m fortunate enough to have surrounded myself with Sports Chiropractors, Personal Trainers and Sports Massage Therapists as friends.

I also study a lot about the human body and how to maximize its performance (then purposely do NOT use it to its max output).

I thought I had a rotator cuff issue several times and it ended up being a chiro adjustment or the first vertebrae of my neck. I *HATE* that adjustment but a day later there is no shoulder discomfort and I can resume my workouts.

Hopefully, yours will be something as “trivial” as that and won’t require surgery.

If you do require surgery please consider the use of your own Stem Cells injected into the repaired area. It will cut down on the recuperation by advancing the repair/healing.

At the age of 40 I noticed that I needed to stretch more. Do Yoga at home. Daily.

Supplements...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great post Will!

I first got into great shape in 9th grade when my leg was broken in football. I spent every wrestling practice watching others learn technique while I climbed rope, dipped, pushups (one leg), sit-ups, peg board, etc. basically every exercise so could do with arms and core without two legs. Then go home and at night do barbell. Didn’t realize how strong I was until the cast came off for the first match. My longest match all season was 59 seconds. All pins. All because I broke a leg in football.

Through my career I have been in/out of shape (computer stuff). I hit forties and decided to try running. Ended up running a marathon, two half’s and several months of 20-30 mile trail runs. Then screwed up my foot on a two mile beach jog (no shoes). After several years got lazy and by the time I retired at 62 I was overweight, feet and joints hurt like hell, stiff. Every year older it takes longer her to get back in shape and it is lost faster than when younger. I started slowly doing calisthenics until I could at least do a 40 minute workout. Then did a few months of Fitness Blender which was fantastic for low impact, increase mobility and range of motion, general flexibility and muscle tone. I decided to go back to work thus time in manual labor to stay active. After 3 months of construction work I lost 35 lbs and felt ten years younger. Now I easily work 25hrs per week on my feet climbing, lifting, crawling around aircraft and feel great. I am now starting a new exercise program to drop another 25lbs and increase some of my dumbbell weight.

The point of this is: although we get more creaky with age, there is still SOMETHING we can do to be more active. The first 1-3 months may not be fun but it can dramatically increase our physical and mental well-being. We may not have use of one or more limbs. But make use of what you got. If legs don’t work then use your arms. If arms are no go then use your legs. When you strengthen one area it takes strain off others and might make it possible to do a little more somewhere else.

Although my feet and joints still hurt, it is not as bad now with more supporting muscle, AND I am still moving. Sit still and hurt and seize up, or move and do something and hurt but a tad less? My motto now is “Keep moving or I start dying!”
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Great post Will!

I first got into great shape in 9th grade when my leg was broken in football. I spent every wrestling practice watching others learn technique while I climbed rope, dipped, pushups (one leg), sit-ups, peg board, etc. basically every exercise so could do with arms and core without two legs. Then go home and at night do barbell. Didn’t realize how strong I was until the cast came off for the first match. My longest match all season was 59 seconds. All pins. All because I broke a leg in football.

Through my career I have been in/out of shape (computer stuff). I hit forties and decided to try running. Ended up running a marathon, two half’s and several months of 20-30 mile trail runs. Then screwed up my foot on a two mile beach jog (no shoes). After several years got lazy and by the time I retired at 62 I was overweight, feet and joints hurt like hell, stiff. Every year older it takes longer her to get back in shape and it is lost faster than when younger. I started slowly doing calisthenics until I could at least do a 40 minute workout. Then did a few months of Fitness Blender which was fantastic for low impact, increase mobility and range of motion, general flexibility and muscle tone. I decided to go back to work thus time in manual labor to stay active. After 3 months of construction work I lost 35 lbs and felt ten years younger. Now I easily work 25hrs per week on my feet climbing, lifting, crawling around aircraft and feel great. I am now starting a new exercise program to drop another 25lbs and increase some of my dumbbell weight.

The point of this is: although we get more creaky with age, there is still SOMETHING we can do to be more active. The first 1-3 months may not be fun but it can dramatically increase our physical and mental well-being. We may not have use of one or more limbs. But make use of what you got. If legs don’t work then use your arms. If arms are no go then use your legs. When you strengthen one area it takes strain off others and might make it possible to do a little more somewhere else.

Although my feet and joints still hurt, it is not as bad now with more supporting muscle, AND I am still moving. Sit still and hurt and seize up, or move and do something and hurt but a tad less? My motto now is “Keep moving or I start dying!”
    As I say to people regularly "if you're over 40 and nothing hurts, you're probably dead"

You must move. Trick to find what hurts the least yet gets the responses you want.

Some form of RT is a must, and the rest, in terms of cardio vascular/conditioning offers all sorts of options

And running sucks
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Running totally sux lol

Wise words Will, I'll figure it out. I certainly won't quit. Play is what I do. That said I realized what may have contributed to this elbow situation - riding. I've been riding my motorcycle a lot since January. Perhaps I'm going to need on work on my riding ergos, maybe a change of bars.

I'll be sore tomorrow, I already hurt tonight. Worked on the truck today so my body is beat up. Already soaked in a hot bath, iced my elbow, and just finished a heated massage. I'm forcing this arm back. It's the only one I got and I don't have time to be laid up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Running totally sux lol

Wise words Will, I'll figure it out. I certainly won't quit. Play is what I do. That said I realized what may have contributed to this elbow situation - riding. I've been riding my motorcycle a lot since January. Perhaps I'm going to need on work on my riding ergos, maybe a change of bars.

I'll be sore tomorrow, I already hurt tonight. Worked on the truck today so my body is beat up. Already soaked in a hot bath, iced my elbow, and just finished a heated massage. I'm forcing this arm back. It's the only one I got and I don't have time to be laid up.
    Unless you're job requires it, it has minimal value in my view and tends to beat the hell out of your body. Hike, sprint, ruck, bike, swim, etc.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Unless you're job requires it, it has minimal value in my view and tends to beat the hell out of your body. Hike, sprint, ruck, bike, swim, etc.
    Thank goodness no. I cut it out long distance running as my major source of cardio about 5 years ago. It beat me up too much. That said I'll still run a warm up half mile and short interval sprints so my body doesn't forget how. My body is ok with that level. I definitely hike and I'll take the kayak out and get some miles in on the lake. I do get the idea though, stay active with other rec and sports. I like it, like I said, I like to play. I like to be outside.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I went to a physical therapist for my elbow issue yesterday.
    They really worked both my arms. Metal butter knife thingy and lots of massages. He said I’m on my way to recovery but it will take time. I’m not one to go to a doctor but this seems to be working.
    I suggest you look into it.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    They really worked both my arms. Metal butter knife thingy and lots of massages. He said I’m on my way to recovery but it will take time. I’m not one to go to a doctor but this seems to be working.
    Is that metal butter knife similar to the steel rod? My buddy had the Doc work his quad with a rod after his ACL surgery as part of his PT. It was used like a foam roller, except it was more medieval. Last night after the heat massage I basically cranked on my lateral forearm and got as deep a pressure rub as I got on it. Hurt like all get out but felt good afterwards.

I'm going to look for that article you mentioned, the muscle % between a 40yo and a 20yo. I bet it is significant amount. I'm doing my best to keep my eating right, and I gun for proteins. When I don't weight train, my hypertrophy drops quick...yo no swole. But my muscle sticks around enough to be identifiable.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I had this done on my right elbow a few years ago. Helped immensely. I believe it was called "Graston", but whether that's the procedure, tool used, or program, I can't tell you.

Feedback Score
    Stop eating inflammatory cooking oils high in omega-6 such as seed oils, corn oil, canola oil, etc, and whatnot.

Eat more meat and fish, especially fatty cuts, and including connective tissue.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast