Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm falling apart

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    I'm kinda scared what the next 10 years holds if the last 10 were this tumultuous lol But all joking aside, thanks for the boost yall.

Yoni, when I tried to grip the pain is up on my forearm where it goes into the elbow on the lateral side, over the round bone. That part was tender to the touch too. The pain has subsided over the last few days but I still feel it in gripping actions. Just the last day I started doing some ROM and stretching on my hand/forearm,elbow. It's tight. I'm trying to go easy but telling it to 'hey, we still got things to do so remember to stay loose'.

In my workouts over the last 8wks I did farmer's walks and standing bar grips in my rotation. I've never incorporated those into my strength workouts ever before. These are the exercise movements that most resembles what hurts.

P2V, you know with few things that have come up over the past year or two that have got me to began wondering if I need to lower my expectations. But I don't think I'm ready to do that. I've always been all out, I don't know how to not.
    I get it, I tend to go all out. The problem is the older I get the longer it takes to recover from injury. By backing off a bit you lessen the chance of injury and loss of training time. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think so. I'll make some adjustments to my workout and give it a run again. I use to joke this bod is a finely tuned machine. Now it seems I'm gonna have to be

My elbow feels like it's turned the corner. Not much pain anymore, just feels a little stale. Grip is coming around too, less pain in my upper forearm/elbow when I hold/move objects. Strength is returning. Last night warmed up the shoulder and elbow with some band work then played some basketball. Nothing strenuous, it was with the 9yo team I help coach at the Y.

Time to get back to it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Shorts,
    I currently have tennis elbow in both arms. I was off and on at the gym for over 8 weeks. My grip was just about non existent. I’m pretty sure dumbbell curls are what caused the injury.
    I’ve been taking turmeric supplements to help with the inflammation and at the gym, I have found that more cables and less free weights seem to help bridge the gap between staying fit to my standards and healing. I’m at the point now where I can pretty much ignore the pain. The massive amounts of preworkout help too! Good luck!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You guys need to do less bicep curls or do lighter ones. Overload and improper grip is probably the cause of your pain. Here’s a good video on the subject.
    https://youtu.be/XXjaCsUlrZs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think so. I'll make some adjustments to my workout and give it a run again. I use to joke this bod is a finely tuned machine. Now it seems I'm gonna have to be

My elbow feels like it's turned the corner. Not much pain anymore, just feels a little stale. Grip is coming around too, less pain in my upper forearm/elbow when I hold/move objects. Strength is returning. Last night warmed up the shoulder and elbow with some band work then played some basketball. Nothing strenuous, it was with the 9yo team I help coach at the Y.

Time to get back to it.
    Not sure how much you are benching and with what, but you should probably consider wrist wraps especially if going heavy. I'm in the same boat (39 years old), but still move heavy weight. I bench with bells due to shoulder pain with a bar. Anyway, I started to get a bunch of elbow pain and found information that said I was probably rolling my wrists back when pushing. I bought wrist wraps last year and all my elbow pain subsided within a few weeks. Cheap enough solution to give it a try.

It does suck getting older. There was a time I could cleanly pull a 545# deadlift... then came the hip surgery...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ever tried yoga? Or even Pilates?
    Tried some moves in the P90X workout years ago. I despised it as a stand alone workout type, I prefer dynamic workouts. However, I have kept some moves that I liked. I incorporate them for the benefits of balance, stretch and ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Shorts,
    I currently have tennis elbow in both arms. I was off and on at the gym for over 8 weeks. My grip was just about non existent. I’m pretty sure dumbbell curls are what caused the injury.
    I’ve been taking turmeric supplements to help with the inflammation and at the gym, I have found that more cables and less free weights seem to help bridge the gap between staying fit to my standards and healing. I’m at the point now where I can pretty much ignore the pain. The massive amounts of preworkout help too! Good luck!
    Hmm thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can incorporate exercise wise to keep it variable.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    You guys need to do less bicep curls or do lighter ones. Overload and improper grip is probably the cause of your pain. Here’s a good video on the subject.
    Will scrutinize my grip and see if that's contributing. I watched that video (I like the Athlean channel) but my pain isn't on the inside/flexor. It's on the extensor side of the forearm. My curls aren't many or heavy but the amt of pulls on the weekly basis could be a factor?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tried some moves in the P90X workout years ago. I despised it as a stand alone workout type, I prefer dynamic workouts. However, I have kept some moves that I liked. I incorporate them for the benefits of balance, stretch and ROM.

Hmm thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can incorporate exercise wise to keep it variable.

Will scrutinize my grip and see if that's contributing. I watched that video (I like the Athlean channel) but my pain isn't on the inside/flexor. It's on the extensor side of the forearm. My curls aren't many or heavy but the amt of pulls on the weekly basis could be a factor?
    I had tendinitis for two years. Eased up until it was gone then focused on grip and not overloading myself, and no problems for this last year.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    That’s a big reason to use an EZ-Curl bar instead of straight bar and also to wrap your wrists.

OP- again... I would try wrapping your wrists before modifying your workout. If you are in fact rolling your wrists as your weight increases, then you can mitigate a lot of that with wraps. Keep the ever-increasing strength that you’ve worked hard for.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don’t necessarily think it’s worth a whole lot for a workout, but the older and more injured I get, the more I realize that yoga, stretching, foam rolling, etc, directly reduce my pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "Soft form" WuShu; Bagua, TaiJi keep me going. Low impact, requiring strength/balance.
    Weapons forms are good too; Jian (straight sword), Dao (broadsword), Staff/"whip" appeal to my "martial sense".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast