Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm falling apart

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm falling apart

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    That’s a big reason to use an EZ-Curl bar instead of straight bar and also to wrap your wrists.

OP- again... I would try wrapping your wrists before modifying your workout. If you are in fact rolling your wrists as your weight increases, then you can mitigate a lot of that with wraps. Keep the ever-increasing strength that you’ve worked hard for.
    Keep in mind some of the benefits you’re receiving from wrapping your wrists are because they’re counteracting poor from and lifting too heavy of a weight.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 03-06-19 at 16:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Keep in mind some of the benefits you’re receiving from wrapping your wrists are because they’re counteracting poor from and lifting too heavy of a weight.
    I can agree with that and I could stand to be more specific. I simply cannot keep my wrists straight when pressing 140#+ bells or 540# (that’s not as much as it sounds, lol) on the Hammer Strength press and will wrap my wrists. I also wrap on heavy curls and triceps presses. I was experiencing a good bit of elbow pain, did some reading, and tried wraps on my heavy days and the pain went away in short order. It’s worth the money to see if it helps.

I don’t wrap them if I’m doing hypertrophy sets.

But... sometimes you just gotta see what you can move...

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I can agree with that and I could stand to be more specific. I simply cannot keep my wrists straight when pressing 140#+ bells or 540# (that’s not as much as it sounds, lol) on the Hammer Strength press and will wrap my wrists. I also wrap on heavy curls and triceps presses. I was experiencing a good bit of elbow pain, did some reading, and tried wraps on my heavy days and the pain went away in short order. It’s worth the money to see if it helps.

I don’t wrap them if I’m doing hypertrophy sets.

Yep, that where I usually end up hurting myself. Hard to resist urge but I try.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t know how old your are, but for me personally when I took my ego out of my lifting I’ve been more fit and injury free. Please don’t take that as an insult because it isn’t meant to be.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I don’t know how old your are, but for me personally when I took my ego out of my lifting I’ve been more fit and injury free. Please don’t take that as an insult because it isn’t meant to be.
    I’m 38 and no offense taken. I got real humble by necessity after I had hip surgery. The days of 545# deadlifts are WAY over. My lifting is in sync with my job (LE) where that burst of big strength is still sometimes needed, whether it’s on a Lift Assist or picking up a douche over my head. I still mix in high weight/ low rep all the way down to hypertrophy and 6-12-25 workouts.

Let’s be honest... no matter how much you’re lifting, you’re still lapping the guy sitting on his couch.
    Last edited by TheTick; 03-08-19 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t necessarily think it’s worth a whole lot for a workout, but the older and more injured I get, the more I realize that yoga, stretching, foam rolling, etc, directly reduce my pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same. Helps to keep my symmetrical, if you will. Previous major neck injuries w associoated nerve & motor issues, it's easy to get out of balance muscluloskeletal-wise. Some days I feel like I'd like to be strapped to the quartering table and stretched out just a little. Yoga moves are a better substitute.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I’m 38 and no offense taken. I got real humble by necessity after I had hip surgery. The days of 545# deadlifts are WAY over. My lifting is in sync with my job (LE) where that burst of big strength is still sometimes needed, whether it’s on a Lift Assist or picking up a douche over my head. I still mix in high weight/ low rep all the way down to hypertrophy and 6-12-25 workouts.

Let’s be honest... no matter how much you’re lifting, you’re still lapping the guy sitting on his couch.
    Hell ya

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    There’s an article on Bodybuilding somewhere about the ratio of an in-shape 20 year old vs an in shape 40 year old. It’s very uplifting for us old guys and gals.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Somewhere in my late 30's I found that I couldn't physically keep up with what I was doing previously. I learned to lift a bit lighter, use better form, and re-structure my work outs. Now a days, instead of trying to lift heavier, I focus on keeping what I have, and adding a bit more muscular endurance. The hardest part was coming to the realization that I wasn't in my 20's anymore. That, and a rapidly deteriorating hip that ended up in a hip replacement last year... But I am in better shape now than I was in my 20's. So keep working, listen to your body when it says "somethings wrong" and not just "hey I'm sore".
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Been managing a rotator cuff issue for the past year so my workouts were pathetically irregular and far between. At the beginning of December I finally got myself disciplined enough to get serious about my workout again. I was feeling great and made some gains in my strength program since. My eating was on point, water intake the best it's ever been. I mean, really doing well. But in the last couple weeks tennis elbow decided it wants to join the party. Being that I had no grip strength and it hurt like crazy I took time off to let it heal. I'm bummed and feeling setback. To top it off, this year I'll be 40. What the heck, is this what 39 is? Just parts stop working?
    Had all that and plenty more. My rotator is hanging by a thread via MRI. When I had some really bad tendinitis in my elbow, I literally could not hold a coffee mug much less workout. I have some SI/L5-4 stuff, etc.

But this is where the rubber meets the road, the wheat from the chaff and other old expressions apply. When I see someone working out in the gym missing both legs, etc, I'm reminded yet again, it could always be worse and I need to shut up now. I have also had to workout through very serious medical issues, and that truly pushes the boundaries of tolerance.

Yes, around 40 ish stuff starts to hurt, and thus you will either learn to train smart and work around, with, or through it, or you will give up and feel and look like crap by mid 40s.

Yes, it sucks I can't/wont get under a heavy squat bar any more, and so forth, and have know when I need to back off, or do something else, like hike, swim, bike, etc, as needed, but do something I will.

You'll need start approaching it all from a new direction and attitude to continue and learn about pre hab work, mobility work, rehab work, active recoup, and so forth,

Adapt, adjust, and overcome, or die.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-09-19 at 11:01.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast