Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I'm falling apart

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Stop eating inflammatory cooking oils high in omega-6 such as seed oils, corn oil, canola oil, etc, and whatnot.

Eat more meat and fish, especially fatty cuts, and including connective tissue.
    I cook with Olive Oil. Could up my fish intake though, I prefer sushi over cooked fish. Right now I eat a lot of chicken and beef (love the gristle of both), some pork.

On the chicken I'm usually eating a lot of white meat cuts, breasts/tenders. But I prefer the taste of dark meats, especially drumsticks. I been meaning to look at the nutritional difference between the two but anyone know if it is significant enough to worry about eating too much or too little of one type? I know that's probably getting way too much into the weeds and an answer may be, "both in moderation". I'm thinking about when I buy my meat and food prep in bulk, usually I get a big pack of whatever and cook it all.

And I had a look at a couple articles on different websites, building muscle at 20 vs 40 subject. Looks like I have to adjust my weekly program frequency and give it a chance. No different that what yall already said, I know. It feels like that is going to be hard to do, to dial it back so I need to put in a solid effort.

Anyway, BB.com had an example I may implement: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...ers-guide.html
    Keep it simple and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    The fattier cuts contain more beneficial fats and connective tissue. Breast is very high in protein but doesn't have much else.

Beef is good! Chuck and brisket are good cuts if you can be bothered cooking them for the requisite time.

It may also be worth your time to try out a very low carbohydrate diet.
    Last edited by joffe; 03-16-19 at 06:06.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The fattier cuts contain more beneficial fats and connective tissue. Breast is very high in protein but doesn't have much else.

Beef is good! Chuck and brisket are good cuts if you can be bothered cooking them for the requisite time.

It may also be worth your time to try out a very low carbohydrate diet.
    Good to know on the chicken. I'm going to incorporate more drumsticks then.
    I do adore chuck steaks in med rare. Usually the cut I stock up on. I dislike sirloin, they're too lean. I also get skirt or flank(it's TX, I make fajitas). My body prefers proteins. I prefer proteins. When I was younger I got anemic several times growing up. Usually often I crave meat like crazy.

When I'm clean, like my carb intake % to be lower than my protein, and fats 25-30%. I found I cannot go too low on carbs or I don't have enough energy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    When I'm clean, like my carb intake % to be lower than my protein, and fats 25-30%. I found I cannot go too low on carbs or I don't have enough energy.
    This is entirely true. This is because all net carbs (that is to say, everything the body can burn, not things like fiber) are turned into glucose in the body, and when we consume them on a regular basis our body preferentially burns glucose as an energy source.

It takes 1-2 weeks for the body to adapt to burning fat as its primary energy source once it is deprived of carbs, and those 1-2 weeks kinda suck.

I'm doing it this year as a personal experiment more than anything else, but I'm finding the ability to have energy regardless of meal timings (blood sugar remains constant, regulated by the body instead of by diet) almost like a cheat code.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This is entirely true. This is because all net carbs (that is to say, everything the body can burn, not things like fiber) are turned into glucose in the body, and when we consume them on a regular basis our body preferentially burns glucose as an energy source.

It takes 1-2 weeks for the body to adapt to burning fat as its primary energy source once it is deprived of carbs, and those 1-2 weeks kinda suck.

I'm doing it this year as a personal experiment more than anything else, but I'm finding the ability to have energy regardless of meal timings (blood sugar remains constant, regulated by the body instead of by diet) almost like a cheat code.
    Keep us updated on your observations.

My experience with the body adapting and using the fuels it is provided seems so, I notice my body gets into the pattern of wanting to eat in ways I've guided it when clean. Kind of nice to crave a protein shake and clean meal to get pointed North again, so to speak, when my good patterns veer off due to schedule.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well it's been about a month since I posted. Since then I've been doing the 'gaining muscle' link in post #41 and doing my meal prepping/clean eating. Weights x3/week, cardio 2 days and rest 2. Legs look great, torso is trimming up, weight remains the same. I'll be taking a full recovery week at the end of week 4.

My body feels fine but I think my elbow is worse than I initially gave it credit for. Pain is still there, though not as flared up and widespread, mainly concentrated on the bone attachment point now. Grip is better and pain not as bad but this elbow is working itself into a chronic thing I'm working around and compensating for. I'm icing after every workout but I think there's a tendon issue in there that may need a Dr's help.

Having the workout program to keep me disciplined has acted as a North star if you will. At work last week was our recognition week for our professional field. So may sweets and treats were provided. I was able to withstand that barrage having a proper thing to stick to. Also I received a promotion. That came as a bit of a surprise. I knew I was up for the position over the past year, but wasn't expecting the offer to get dropped at this time. That news has been an interesting thing to experience, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. One thing I find interesting is how my peers are acting/treating me. The good news feels a bit isolating. I had read about that in my courses prepping for Supervisor, but I guess to experience it first hand is something else.

Anyway, doing my weights on Sunday I was run down, no gas in the tank. I've been fighting a sore throat/cold/allergies that blew in with a storm last week and I probably might have been better resting instead of going to the gym, because I really didn't go hard when I was there. During the workout I couldn't help but keep thinking 'this is only the beginning, this is not the end'. Meaning I have to keep myself recovered and prepared to keep moving forward in all the areas of my life - work, personal, health, etc. That's what I'm going to do, stay ready.

Thanks for a place to let me get my thoughts out and definitely thank yall for the workout advice to get me going in this new direction at this stage of my life, it has a much larger impact that results in the gym. I'm heeding the guidance given.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve been going to PT twice a week for about two months now. The swelling is finally gone but pain in the direct area of my elbows is still there but manageable.
    I’m not one to go to the doctor, I rarely even take Advil. But this definitely requires medical attention and it will work but it takes a long time.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I’ve been going to PT twice a week for about two months now. The swelling is finally gone but pain in the direct area of my elbows is still there but manageable.
    I’m not one to go to the doctor, I rarely even take Advil. But this definitely requires medical attention and it will work but it takes a long time.
    I'm not a Dr person either. Have to be dragged in not under my own power.
    I'm surprised how long this elbow is lingering...forever.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’m goi h to PT today and it’s going to be my first time going once a week. It’s been over 5 months of pain now. It’s also amazing that I’m realizing how much mobility I lost. It’s now back due to no more swelling.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Glad you're getting mobility back. How long are your sessions?

A weird thing I lost was muscle fullness in my top\lateral forearm. Muscle went totally flat. It's finally coming back.
    Last edited by Shorts; 04-25-19 at 08:51.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast