Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Threats and How to React

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

New Threats and How to React

So I was reading and article about Putin and Russia. The possibility of a new cold war is there. Is there a real threat to look at? If so what will you do differant to address this new/ reemerging threat?

Since this is a large country with many more resources then most the threat could be very diverse. They have chemical, biological, and all types of nuclear items at their disposal. As well as the delivery system that would be needed for each. In addition to those threads there is also the threat of a proxy war and even an EMP attack.

Thought?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is ALWAYS a threat...untill the glorious day there aint.
    But if I HAD to rank it..Russia is there on the list, but way below these raghead run countries & China. Im telling you these damned muslims are itching to start shit.
    And-like many have stated in the Civil War thread..I absolutely DO NOT discount the nutwads running aroung this country, at all. MANY on both sides want a civil war
    and will do shit to try to start it. That f-in homo Smollet tried it...wanted an uproar. Well, he got one, just not the one he wanted.
    I, myself..would MUCH rather be at odds against Russia than the ragheads...those mofackas cant be reasoned with and only understand DEATH as a means of stopping them. Id like to think at least Russia aint that wack yet.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Respectfully, the threat has not changed an iota, at least since the South Ossetia War in 2008. From the Russian viewpoint, the Cold War really never left.

GWB was going to reset the US-Russian relationship. Obama said he would. Trump said he would too. The ability to address the core issues are beyond the power of the US - the proto USSR/Russian Empire folks have a history much longer than the US.

The Kaliningrad intermediate range, nuclear capable missiles have been a major issue for the Poles and other NATO members for nearly a decade. I think Trump and Bolton are fools in this issue and most others, but the missiles were de facto accepted by the Obama Administration. Bolton’s attack on Reagan’s arms control successes is not going to deter Putin.

As to the increased domestic threat from Russia, I am not seeing it, yet. There was an FOUO release last week that might be resonating... Just guessing that might get be contributing to the sense of unease.

* Any EMP is a nuclear attack. That puts the US SIOP nuclear attack plan into play.
    * Any use of NBC threats presumably is a WMD and again becomes a potential nuclear war. The Russians are surrounded by B61s under joint US-NATO control as well as the strategic deterrence weapon systems.
    * Read the Skiripal Files, a year old book about the GRU operations in the Cold War and then terminating at the UK nerve agent attack on the defector. It was a ballsy provocation in a NATO nation but no one wants a war.
    *Credible open sources are stating the Russian internet segmentation scheme is not realistic and is propaganda. However that feeds into various audiences about hardening their society against Western options.

I am not doing anything differently, beyond paying close attention. Think all hazards in your preparations, as I am much more worried about New Madrid or other earthquakes than the Russians.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Putin bluster. China is the real threat to the US. The attack, if and when it comes, will be cyber-oriented. Probably won't be one big attack...likely a series of smaller muti-pronged/multi front attacks that persistently erode our digital infrastructure. We'll lose, and there's no preparing.

Last edited by Hmac; 02-24-19 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally, I don't believe in single threat or event preparations. Preparation should simply be a WAY of LIFE.

If I have my own means to produce food, water, power....can defend myself, have the ability to provide medical care etc....What the hell difference does it make WHAT the threat is? Tornado...no problem. Dollar collapse...No Problem. War with Russia or China...no problem. Bird Flu....Ebola, EMP, Solar Flare......Sure, at the VERY farthest edges of specific problems you need some detailed solutions, but until you have the basics covered...not something to worry about.

None of it matters. The ultimate problems are ALWAYS the same- Food, Water, Shelter, Defense, Medical Care.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    First, this is the kind of discussion I appreciate on M4C - sharp folks discussing pertinent topics. Thanks DocSherm.

I will eat some crow... from the Wall Street Journal today. The Russians appear to be hyping for the internal audience but they know how to get under the US skin.

“Mr. Kiselyov said the Kremlin leader’s words were “a promise to target decision-making centers in the case that the U.S. deploys short and medium-range rockets in Europe.”

A map on-air showed the locations of potential targets at the Pentagon, Camp David and Jim Creek, a naval communications base in Washington state. Another graphic showed that a Russian submarine could launch a Tsirkon missile 200 miles from either U.S. shore and strike the targets before U.S. air defenses could catch them.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    First, this is the kind of discussion I appreciate on M4C - sharp folks discussing pertinent topics. Thanks DocSherm.

I will eat some crow... from the Wall Street Journal today. The Russians appear to be hyping for the internal audience but they know how to get under the US skin.

“Mr. Kiselyov said the Kremlin leader’s words were “a promise to target decision-making centers in the case that the U.S. deploys short and medium-range rockets in Europe.”

A map on-air showed the locations of potential targets at the Pentagon, Camp David and Jim Creek, a naval communications base in Washington state. Another graphic showed that a Russian submarine could launch a Tsirkon missile 200 miles from either U.S. shore and strike the targets before U.S. air defenses could catch them.”
    LOL. As if those “decision making centers” weren’t already in the Russian crosshairs, and as if theirs weren’t already in ours.

Feedback Score
    I would have to agree that the ultimate problems remain the ultimate problems, generally, regardless of cause (at least most of the time). Food, water, shelter, defense, medical care, and such as listed above. There are special cases that might require special preparations, of course, like radiation or biologic attacks. I don't work for the CIA and I don't work in the White House, but personally I worry more about a rogue state doing something crazy with an EMP or dirty bomb than I do Mr. Putin. Those are things that can be accomplished even without being peer or near-peer status. Those attacks can realistically be completed with a high chance of success given our current state of defenses. Further, fighting an enemy that doesn't mind dying for his god is a tough nut to crack. The good news is that our relationship with North Korea appears to be way better than it was just a year or two ago!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post

First I would like to say thanks.

Then I will LOLOLOLOL.

This is the kind of discussion I was hoping for. Keep bringing in the facts.

Well played sir. Keep it up.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agree that Cold War with Russia never ended and China and Islam are the major threats. Russia will continue to chip away st Eastern Europe and other former Soviet states. I don’t think they really want world war or even to attack Western Europe, but they want to play to the home crowd appeal and keep the West off balance

China and Islam on the other hand both want to rule/control the world. Chine will use various technologies to spy and sabotage our infrastructure and economy, while their first step is total control of South China Sea, then Taiwan. If we back down they will see that as showing our soft tummy in submission.

Islam has been at war with the West for over 1,000 years. The difference now is the West is paying them trillions of dollars for oil so they have money to spend on killing us. Without oil revenue they would ALL revert to third world dust bins. And they are fanatical in their determination to kill us whenever possible. As we continue to bring them in as immigrants and refugees ( no ME Christians allowed!) feed them, house them, educate them, they are supporting the violent groups who encourage violent attacks.

At a national level China is the greatest threat. At the personal level Islamic terrorism is the greater threat. One more reason to carry concealed as much as possible.

As others have stated, preparation should be ongoing for the basics and develop a way of life as independent as possible. Probably not possible for most to be completely independent resource wise but the more dependencies you can eliminate the more flexibility you have to adapt to drastic changes, whatever form they arrive in.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast