Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: IFAK setup advice & what is the best compact gauze and compression bandages?

Feedback Score
    You would also add painkillers, a remedy for diarrhea. If you go camping, such things should be in the first aid kit.

Feedback Score
    The H and H compressed gauze is a great thing to fill out the smallest amount of space left in your kit. It opens up to a crazy amount of gauze.

For compression bandages the Israeli is still the main go to as far as I'm aware.

I bought a few of the new SOFT-TW tourniquets and I think I prefer these to the CAT.

Feedback Score
    I posted this on another IFAK thread but thought it a good idea to post here:

I have heard the IFAK is meant for use on yourself....by yourself or someone else using it on you. Understanding it could be used for/on someone else.
    Do you carry 2 IFAK or an additional goody bag just in case?
    Makes sense to have for yourself.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline19 View Post
    I have heard the IFAK is meant for use on yourself....by yourself or someone else using it on you.
    By definition, yes- an IFAK is for use on you. It does depend on your environment...the bag I keep in my trunk (general-purpose first aid) is different from the hemorrhage control kit in my glovebox.

My range belt has an IFAK that I wouldn't hesitate to use on someone if necessary. In that environment, it's appropriate because I highly doubt that I'll also get injured if I haven't already been.

The IFAK on my call-out gear is a totally different beast. It's designed for someone else to use on me and I will not touch it to treat anyone except myself. I have a literal aid bag on my back and, with everyone on the SRT being TCCC Providers, we have 2 waist packs that are set up as MARCH bags for other Officers to have available should they exhaust the contents of someone's IFAK.

I have no need for an IFAK at my main job...it's a SkyCU.

BLUF; my opinion is that IFAKs are rather small by design and should focus on emergency treatments. Tailor it to your needs and be realistic about the kind of environment you may have to use it in. If I'm making a kit to take care of other people, then something like a waist pack (I really like the Tac Tailor First Responder Bag for this) or some other similar small bag is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline19 View Post
    I posted this on another IFAK thread but thought it a good idea to post here:

I have heard the IFAK is meant for use on yourself....by yourself or someone else using it on you. Understanding it could be used for/on someone else.
    Do you carry 2 IFAK or an additional goody bag just in case?
    Makes sense to have for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    By definition, yes- an IFAK is for use on you. It does depend on your environment...the bag I keep in my trunk (general-purpose first aid) is different from the hemorrhage control kit in my glovebox.

My range belt has an IFAK that I wouldn't hesitate to use on someone if necessary. In that environment, it's appropriate because I highly doubt that I'll also get injured if I haven't already been.

The IFAK on my call-out gear is a totally different beast. It's designed for someone else to use on me and I will not touch it to treat anyone except myself. I have a literal aid bag on my back and, with everyone on the SRT being TCCC Providers, we have 2 waist packs that are set up as MARCH bags for other Officers to have available should they exhaust the contents of someone's IFAK.

I have no need for an IFAK at my main job...it's a SkyCU.

BLUF; my opinion is that IFAKs are rather small by design and should focus on emergency treatments. Tailor it to your needs and be realistic about the kind of environment you may have to use it in. If I'm making a kit to take care of other people, then something like a waist pack (I really like the Tac Tailor First Responder Bag for this) or some other similar small bag is the way to go.
    Again, concur with my colleague GTF425.

IFAK on my range belt; I'd use it on someone else if I had to. But I also have a more substantial kit in my range gear. In my vans. In my house.

Feedback Score
    Appreciating the insight.
    Being an in hospital and pre hospital professional I have a certain "overall" focus. Seeing now there are different "kits" for different environments/circumstances.
    Time to invest and create.
    Will review threads and research for contents/applications.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    You would also add painkillers, a remedy for diarrhea. If you go camping, such things should be in the first aid kit.
    Immodium is the only opioid I’d bother with in a first aid kit. Letting it run its course can be a better option at times, as well. Tylenol is enough painkiller for a first aid kit usually. Maybe drop 4 aspirin in there also.
    This is strictly my opinion, of course.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Immodium is the only opioid I’d bother with in a first aid kit. Letting it run its course can be a better option at times, as well. Tylenol is enough painkiller for a first aid kit usually. Maybe drop 4 aspirin in there also.
    This is strictly my opinion, of course.
    Imodium isn't an opioid in the real sense; it's an opioid-receptor agonist and works on the mu-opioid receptors, on which opioids also work, but it is chemically different than a narcotic opioid. But a definite must for a first aid kit, especially if you are travelling overseas or at risk of drinking water that you have not packed.

RE: pain meds, the big 3: ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and aspirin. Of course, know when and why to take each because they are not the same.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You’re right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Imodium isn't an opioid in the real sense; it's an opioid-receptor agonist and works on the mu-opioid receptors, on which opioids also work, but it is chemically different than a narcotic opioid. But a definite must for a first aid kit, especially if you are travelling overseas or at risk of drinking water that you have not packed.

RE: pain meds, the big 3: ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and aspirin. Of course, know when and why to take each because they are not the same.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Modular approach to med supplies. 1st, 2nd, 3rd line. Or, individual-vehicle-residential. People tend to try to scale/miniaturize higher levels to a smaller, and that's the wrong approach.

Terms matter, IFAK/BOK/FAK/etc mean different things as we discuss them.

Snivel and pill packs are modular additions. Very little is needed on a day to day basis, and a lot can be done with cipro, immodium, ibu, acet, and whatever you're prescribed that you can't do without.

And as always, the more you know the less you tend to need.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast