Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IFAK setup advice & what is the best compact gauze and compression bandages?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrasshopper View Post
    There are things contained within a military IFAK that aren’t necessary in a civilian one in most situations. Like a full IV kit.
    Military IFAKs are not issued with and should not contain IV kits. Everything in a military IFAK should be compatible with the scope of practice of an Infantry PVT. I’m all for cops carrying the same.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Military IFAKs are not issued with and should not contain IV kits. Everything in a military IFAK should be compatible with the scope of practice of an Infantry PVT. I’m all for cops carrying the same.
    Many other military medics I’ve talked to have told their units to add IV starters to their IFAKS so they don’t have to carry a million of them. In the general civilian scope, I was merely saying they could be omitted...

I was a 68W long before I was a cop. Sorry I didn’t say that to begin with.
    Last edited by younggrasshopper; 10-08-19 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by younggrasshopper View Post
    Many other military medics I’ve talked to have told their units to add IV starters to their IFAKS so they don’t have to carry a million of them. In the general civilian scope, I was merely saying they could be omitted...

I was a 68W long before I was a cop. Sorry I didn’t say that to begin with.
    Fair enough. We used to do similar in units I’ve been in a while back, but its been largely DC’d to make room for other stuff. I just don’t think thats the best way to stage IV supplies, and official policies tend to agree. I suppose IV stuff wouldn’t be the worse thing to have in an IFAK, if you can fit it. Dumbest thing I’ve found in someone’s IFAK is Twizzlers, so there’s that.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Do you prefer skittles....? Hahaha

But generally speaking, I think the main thing civilian IFAKs should cater to is the “M” in “MARCH”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here’s my favorite kit for balancing small but get you to a higher level of care if you’re in the boonies...

https://buyhandh.com/products/easy-carry-trauma-kit

Feedback Score
    2 staged CAT or SOFW - I would say the CAT is more widely distributed now in the MIL/LEO circles.
    2 staged Israeli bandages
    2 packs of staged z-folded gauze - no need for hemostatic gauze (there was a study done showing little to no benefit to traditional gauze i.e. practice proper wound packing)
    14 ga 3.25 decompression needle
    Hyfin
    size 28 nasopharyngeal
    shears

Feedback Score
    A mylar blanket would be an excellent addition to your "First Responder" bag. I teach .mil medics and first responders to use the MARCH algorythm; Massive (life threatening) hemorrhage, Airway, Respirations, Circulation, Hypothermia. HYpothermia is one of the components of the lethal triad of trauma and often overlooked. The human body depends on maintaining a normal temperature of 98.6F (37C) for all the naturally occuring chemicals to work together.

A couple of sam splints would come in handy as well, you can tear different lengths of tape and make layers of tape on a sam splint to make a "tape board."

Roll kerlix is excellent for wound packing, burns, splinting, and all manner of treatments. Hemostatic gauze is cool, but it's expensive and most trauma docs I talk to emphasize that how a cavitation would is packed is more important than what you pack with. One could use strips of the patient's clothing if necessary.

I wouldnt bother with IV start kits, too many people get fixated on starting an IV that they forget to manage the life threatening injuries. Starting an IV without being a qualified health care provider may not be covered by good samaritan laws in your state. I am a state licensed and nationally certified paramedic and I wont start an IV off duty.

https://www.jems.com/2014/04/02/trau...hermia-acidos/
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    I just recently put a new IFAK together. Here's n'y list:
    2 vented chest seals
    1 Israeli
    1 set of decomp needles
    1 4" rolled gauze
    1 Mylar blanket
    1 CAT gen3
    1 hemostatic gauze
    1 set of shears
    1 red sharpie
    2 chem lights (1 red, 1 white)
    2 pairs of nitrile gloves
    1 roll of paper tape
    1 nasopharyngeal (packed with a little tube of lube)
    I would like to carry a SWAT TQ with that (as an option as TQ or pressure dressing), but I'm out of room.

I am part of a tight knit group of friends who happen to enjoy firearms and related things. We have a combat medic as well as an NP who specialized in trauma care, and who rode on an EMT truck in BAD neighborhoods for years. Every now and then, they set up a class for the rest of us, so we all get a little more advanced knowledge. I gotta say, if you think that you had enough training after 8 hours, you're dead nuts wrong.
    And keep in mind, there's more to life than penetrating trauma/GSWs. There's injuries to the eyes, the bones, burns, toxic stuff, and the list goes on. Even basic CPR is often overlooked because some people can't fathom any injuries that aren't shot related.

Feedback Score
    Currently mine in my range bag contains:

Israeli bandage x2
    Hyfin x2
    hemostatic gauze
    various bandaids, butterflies, and minor cut related stuff
    tweezers, hemostats, and shears
    bug bite relief stuff
    alcohol wipes

Looks like I'll be making some additions.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Currently mine in my range bag contains:

Israeli bandage x2
    Hyfin x2
    hemostatic gauze
    various bandaids, butterflies, and minor cut related stuff
    tweezers, hemostats, and shears
    bug bite relief stuff
    alcohol wipes

Looks like I'll be making some additions.
    A range kit needs to be more than an IFAK. An IFAK by definition is trauma-specific, and for use on you. Have one, sure, but also have a general first aid kit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast