Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about case lube?

Feedback Score

What about case lube?

Been using RCBS case lube for years but I'm finally getting low. Wondering about any of the new stuff that's out there that may be cleaner and less sticky.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have always been impressed how little imperial sizing wax is needed to resize rifle brass. Just a small dab on your fingers rubbed onto the neck shoulder junction. After a while, enough residue exists on your fingers that frequent dips into the wax tin is not required to get enough wax on subsequent cases. Cleans up well enough in my dry media tumbler.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have tried other case lubes including the spray stuff to streamline/speed my reloading process and reduce mess. However I have always come back to sizing wax (imperial makes some, Hornady's is pretty good too). Sizing effort is way easier and it cleans off very easily.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Imperial sizing wax for single stage press use/low volume reloading. Progressive/high volume gets my homemade Dillon counterfeit (liquid lanolin and isopropyl alcohol). I'd avoid Hornady One Shot- imo it's garbage

Feedback Score
    I still use RCBS for my big cases (50 BMG) but use Hornady one shot in a zip lock bag for everything else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What about case lube?

I use Hornady One Shot for .223 and for getting inside case necks for larger cases, for which I use Imperial sizing wax. The wax goes a very long way, many thousands of cases. But it requires individual application which is OK for my larger calibers and lower quantities loaded. The wax is superb for larger cases like .30-06, really lets it slide through the die. I then wipe off each case after loading.

For the much greater quantities of .233 cases the One Shot allows me to place 40-50 cases upside down in a loading block and a quick spray one two sides is good enough. The .223 case is so small it does not need a lot of lube. Also, One Shot dries so there is no sticky mess and I don’t need to clean the cases after loading. Great for small cases like .223 but I have not found it lubes well enough for .30-06, at least not compared to Imperial wax.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 02-24-19 at 10:08.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use Hornady One-Shot for .223 cases (bulk reloading) and a lanolin/isopropyl for .308 and 6.5CM (single stage reloading).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I have used many type case lubes but last summer I tried Hornady One Shot and didn't read the instructions and got stuck cases.

When using One Shot you "MUST" read all the instructions and clean and remove "ALL" other type wet lubes from the die, and then spray the inside of the die.

After this your Hornady One Shot will work fantastic and this "dry film" lube does not need to be removed. And when the spray is angled correctly the inside of your case necks are also lubed correctly.

Bottom line, Hornady One Shot is slicker than snot on a door knob and does not have to be wiped off. Just read all the instructions and don't bugger things up.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 02-24-19 at 14:03.

Feedback Score
    Oh, I can't wait for MarkM to chime in about One-Shot!

I like Dillon's lube, which is just lanolin and alcohol. Yes, I'll be making my own, from here on out.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Imperial sizing wax for single stage press use/low volume reloading. Progressive/high volume gets my homemade Dillon counterfeit (liquid lanolin and isopropyl alcohol). I'd avoid Hornady One Shot- imo it's garbage
    WORD UP!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast