Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety selector loose on 80% build

Feedback Score

Safety selector loose on 80% build

I am assembling a lower I finished and the safety selector doesn’t seem to have the same amount of “snap” as my other AR’s do. I tried changing the grips and it made no difference. I confirmed the detent is being pushed up high enough to engage the selector. Does anyone have any ideas to get it tighter?

Feedback Score
    Might want to try a longer/stiffer spring. Had same issue on one and I just cut a new spring from some stock and made it about 2 turns longer. Problem solved.
    Last edited by kapusta; 02-24-19 at 15:22. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Might want to try a longer/stiffer spring. Had same issue on one and I just cut a new spring from some stock and made it about 2 turns longer. Problem solved.
    Ok I’ll give that a try. Any idea where I might be able to find a spring like that? Or what size to use?

Feedback Score
    Place a pin the same size as the safety pin in the grip. It will increase the amount of pressure as the spring will be more compressed. Or you can try changing out the safety selector it's self and see if it works better.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb805 View Post
    I am assembling a lower I finished and the safety selector doesn’t seem to have the same amount of “snap” as my other AR’s do. I tried changing the grips and it made no difference. I confirmed the detent is being pushed up high enough to engage the selector. Does anyone have any ideas to get it tighter?
    It's probably the result of the safety bore location. Why are you fooling with an 80% lower anyway?? Finished receivers are dirt cheap. I never the understood the lure of the 80's. Especially if finished with a jig and ricketedy drill press.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    It's probably the result of the safety bore location. Why are you fooling with an 80% lower anyway?? Finished receivers are dirt cheap. I never the understood the lure of the 80's. Especially if finished with a jig and ricketedy drill press.
    I can assure you that’s not the case. I finished it on my CNC machine

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There are several factors here.

1. You machined it incorrectly. It happens a lot.

2. Your grip is out of spec. I have seen this several times with grips. The hole is either too deep, or not deep enough.

3. Your spring is jacked.

4. 1+2= Two issues at the same time.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had written extensively about safety related issues, you can still find them on m4c in BAD's subforum, or TOS.

If the safety feels mushy, it's likely the pistol grip's spring hole is too deep, or the safety's center has chewed up the detent, or the receiver. You can troubleshoot it fairly easily.

Remove the grip, manually apply pressure to the spring while you rotate the safety, does more pressure (pushing up the spring more) mitigate the issue?

Take a look at the detent, a malformed safety center's detent groove and holes can wear grooves on the detent in short order. A safety whose detent groove and holes are deeper will have less positive feedback.

Compare the spring you have with another, is it shorter?

Try another safety.

I can help troubleshoot it better on the phone, but you might try the steps outlined above first
    Last edited by Duffy; 02-25-19 at 10:08.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I had written extensively about safety related issues, you can still find them on m4c in BAD's subforum, or TOS.

If the safety feels mushy, it's likely the pistol grip's spring hole is too deep, or the safety's center has chewed up the detent, or the receiver. You can troubleshoot it fairly easily.

Remove the grip, manually apply pressure to the spring while you rotate the safety, does more pressure (pushing up the spring more) mitigate the issue?

Take a look at the detent, a malformed safety center's detent groove and holes can wear grooves on the detent in short order. A safety whose detent groove and holes are deeper will have less positive feedback.

Compare the spring you have with another, is it shorter?

Try another safety.

I can help troubleshoot it better on the phone, but you might try the steps outlined above first
    I ended up putting a roll pin in the grip hole and shortening the spring just a little bit and it pretty much fixed the problem. It still doesn’t have that *snap like my other AR’s seem to have but it is just as stiff now.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I get the whole “untraceable” thing but with a CNC mill why not just machine out an entire lower or finish machine a forging?

Pursuant to you question though, I have see 80% lowers have this issue because the detention is improperly finished. Have you compared the detent penetration into the selector hole to an in spec lower?
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast