Thread: Another question about a long trip. Bag related this time.

Feedback Score

Another question about a long trip. Bag related this time.

I had recently asked a question about taking a rifle/carbine on my annual, paid (military) vacation. Now after reading a post about a B.O.B. I thought I might ask about a variation on that theme. My trip will take me to Oklahoma in Spring. If something happens I will need to get back home to Colorado. Nine plus hours by car going through Texas and New Mexico or Kansas before even hitting Colorado. So the question is: I have a Get Home Bag (GHB) now but should I add more to it and will the distance affect bringing a carbine (I was planning on a braced 9mm AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel)? Traipsing around the countryside with a visible rifle might not be the best thing but if I'm literally hiking back it would be less comforting to be without it. I know the odds are slim but its still mid OK to mid CO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another option is to make a cover for your rifle. The Secret Service has a cover that they use and I’m sure you can find a picture of the uniform tactical officers at the White House. They look to be made out of nylon with a Velcro closure on top with the sling sticking out used to retain the weapon. Now these are not great for hiding the weapon and is only used to lower the visual signature while carrying it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    Another option is to make a cover for your rifle. The Secret Service has a cover that they use and I’m sure you can find a picture of the uniform tactical officers at the White House. They look to be made out of nylon with a Velcro closure on top with the sling sticking out used to retain the weapon. Now these are not great for hiding the weapon and is only used to lower the visual signature while carrying it.
    It’s just a zippered weapon bag from Blackhawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    It’s just a zippered weapon bag from Blackhawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well that takes all of the mystery out of it..... thanks.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    9mm pistol and a few mags should be fine. Are you expecting a severe threat?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    9mm pistol and a few mags should be fine. Are you expecting a severe threat?
    No. I hope all goes as it has the last four times I have taken this trip, to complete my AT and related duties but..... I think I would just feel better knowing I had something more being that far away from home. Trying to balance my ability to get hung up with Murphy's Law (my luck), a little over preparedness and reality. The "rifle" I plan on taking is a braced AR pistol that will also take my pistol's (Glock) mags. Realistically it should never leave the vehicle and stay hidden (and locked up) for the entire trip; just like the pistol (except for the locked up part). In the past I always took a 10/22 but that was because one of my military buddies was assigned to the same place and we would go shooting on the weekends. The biggest threat I have seen there is the possibility of a tornado; I have never experienced a tornado or its' aftermath.