Thread: 586 L-Comp / 19 Carry Comp

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

586 L-Comp / 19 Carry Comp

For some reason I'm pretty drawn to a 586 L-Comp or maybe a model 19 carry comp. I've been wanting to add another wheel gun and almost pulled the trigger on a 7shot GP-100, but didn't like the reviews on those. Not a fan of the not knowing if the seventh round will fit or not.

Anyone have any first hand experience with either of the Smiths? I've read a few mixed reviews on the L-Comp, mostly people not being happy with the quality coming out of the Performance Center.

Feedback Score
    The L-frame was created for a constant diet of magnums; the K isn't as tolerant of a steady diet of the hotter round. The L is easier to shoot with those heavy loads, the K is less to carry. Pay your money and take your choice.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    So I have recently come to the realization that I should have bought a K frame instead of an L frame. I am looking hard at the 19 Carry Comp. Seems that the less than favorable reviews have been going to the 586 L Comp, but with my experience on two PC revolvers lately, it seems like the luck of the draw as far as quality goes!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    S&W did reinforce the forcing cone on the K frame magnums so they should be more tolerant of the hot stuff. Inspect any new Smith revo before you buy and take it right out and shoot some groups. My one and last new Smith shot so far left the rear sight could not be made to print center. Canted barrel so the shop took it back.

Feedback Score
    I had a 3" J-gun with a front sight out of index, which became much more noticeable with a new fiber-optic front sight I had installed.
    So the barrel went in the leather-jawed vise, and a hammer handle in the cylinder window. Problem solved.
    But it had already been back to Smith for out-of-spec charge holes...which S&W cheerfully fixed on their dime.
    Still a Smith fan; great customer service.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    7n6, what do you think of the .38 speedloaders? I like the 9mm and .45 iteration, but the longer revolver cartridges seem to be a little loose for a really fast reload.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Sounds like the quality coming out of the Performance Center in general is less than stellar on $1000 wheel guns. Just reviewed quite a few crooked barrel threads... Maybe I'll just keep my 686 or find an older 66. It's not like this or my SP101 won't get the job done...

20190108_085329 by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I don't care for speedloaders because the actual knob for the speed loader sits to far back and doesn't allow you to really manipulate the cartridges with your fingers as easily to align with the charge holes.

M
    Sorry, 7n6, I really botched that. I like the moonclips in 9mm and .45ACP, but didn't find the ones for my 640 Pro to be especially useful for a speedy reload, and haven't even ordered any more than the 2 that came with the gun. The longer rounds just seem to have too much wobble, and I don't trust a spare in my pocket.
    Just wondered if you had a different opinion.
    As regards the 640 Pro, it is a real honey IMHO. I gave it a light tune and some Altamont grips. No complaints.
    Yeah, ya' gotta love the older stuff. I snagged a 940 online, with the hardchrome internals. BTW, it is one snappy SOB to shoot.
    Moon