View Poll Results: Do you use a RDS on your CCW?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 100% of the time

20 19.80%
  • Most of the time

11 10.89%
  • Sometimes

13 12.87%
  • No, never

57 56.44%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW: RDS or Iron Sights?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I fought the RDS on pistol advice for years and finally gave in... totally worth it.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    I have a back up for my two RDS equipped glocks that does not have an RDS. But my primary carry is rotated between two RMR equipped guns. The adjustment for me didn't take but a half hour. The performance increase is too much to ignore. You can watch your misses as they happen. You can call your shots and know when the round hit the plate and it didn't fall. You can make hits at 100y with minimal effort. You can place your shots exactly where you want them. Shot placement.

Shot placement is constantly touted when it comes to handguns.

RMR will improve shot placement.

The future is now, old man.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Finally got to shoot an RDS gun (one of Pappabears Sigs). Not as bad as I had imagined. But I would never run one for defense. I find myself looking for the irons anyway. Maybe it takes some getting used to.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Finally got to shoot an RDS gun (one of Pappabears Sigs). Not as bad as I had imagined. But I would never run one for defense. I find myself looking for the irons anyway. Maybe it takes some getting used to.
    It does, you have to practice and do a lot of dry runs. It is just your programming from years of irons.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It does take getting used to, but different amounts for different people (just like anything else). I picked it up much quicker than I expected from what I’d heard online. But then again I’m also fishing for the dot more now that I’ve also started shooting an irons only 1911 just as much, so it needs to be constant, again like everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If thats what you shoot all the time, you should use a RDS, otherwise no thank you. Most altercations are pretty close, so most of us that shoot weekly would be challenged to miss a center mass shot.

YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    In the same boat currently. Bought a FN 509T wtih a Vortex RMR. 2 range trips, about 200 rounds shot, and .... boy, I suck. I'm not sure if the dot is quite centered (had to rush last session since some cops were there and we were BS'ing since I happened to work with their mom), which is likely some of it. Plus the 509 is a new pistol to me, so there's that.

I WANT to get better with it. Like, I'm trying to give it a real effort. I know a RDS on a rifle is great, ergo, it should transfer to a pistol.

But man, it's painful.

Feedback Score
    I have carried both ways.

At self defense distances I’m faster with iron sights: PB to 15 yards. But the Trijicon RMR makes shooting further and further out much easier (25-50 yards).

My current rotation of a Glock 19 and Glock 27 do not have RDS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Pick whatever works for you.
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-01-19 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    I recently acquired a gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and put an RM01 on it.

After taking it to the range for approximately 500 rounds of fire, I have not yet started carrying it in lieu of the gen 4 that I otherwise normally carry.

After putting my shooting on a timer, I am consistently faster and more accurate with my iron sights pistol than the RMR. That is not to say that I am not fast with the RMR, I just don't put up the best numbers on every run. My accuracy with the RMR is way better for precise shots, and especially for longer range shots or shots that require transitioning the weapon target to target.

Overall, I realize that the RMR is better in absolutely every way. I just need to spend the time and the ammo getting adequate training reps to meet, and then inevitably exceed, my skill levels with my iron sights.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast