View Poll Results: Do you use a RDS on your CCW?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 100% of the time

20 19.80%
  • Most of the time

11 10.89%
  • Sometimes

13 12.87%
  • No, never

57 56.44%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW: RDS or Iron Sights?

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    I recently acquired a gen 5 Glock 19 MOS and put an RM01 on it.

After taking it to the range for approximately 500 rounds of fire, I have not yet started carrying it in lieu of the gen 4 that I otherwise normally carry.

After putting my shooting on a timer, I am consistently faster and more accurate with my iron sights pistol than the RMR. That is not to say that I am not fast with the RMR, I just don't put up the best numbers on every run. My accuracy with the RMR is way better for precise shots, and especially for longer range shots or shots that require transitioning the weapon target to target.

Overall, I realize that the RMR is better in absolutely every way. I just need to spend the time and the ammo getting adequate training reps to meet, and then inevitably exceed, my skill levels with my iron sights.

IMHO, a pistol mounted RDS will never be as reliable or as durable as a good quality and properly fit set of hardened steel sights
    that have two hardened and locktited set screws to anchor the rear sight in it’s dovetail.
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-04-19 at 10:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    IMHO, a pistol mounted RDS will never be as reliable or as durable as a good quality and properly installed set of hardened steel sights.
    #boomer

That's why it has suppressor height irons on it that cowitness the dot.

Feedback Score
    If you put the time in- it pays off. If not, it will hold you back.

#boomer

That's why it has suppressor height irons on it that cowitness the dot.
    If you putnthe time in, its an enabler, not a disabler.
    Even completely blocked, Effective shots at SD distance should not be an issue. Theres a few ways to do it.

I know they are not perfect, but the rmr has proven to be way more than durable enough for ccw.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-27-19 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Overall, I realize that the RMR is better in absolutely every way. I just need to spend the time and the ammo getting adequate training reps to meet, and then inevitably exceed, my skill levels with my iron sights.
    I don't think it is a correct goal. Your improvement achieved through a dot practice will pull your irons skills up too if you're thoughtful about what you're doing. I think that there always be a range of tasks, dependent on shooter's overall skill and visual acuity, where irons will provide required accuracy and still be faster. I think the right way of doing this is just work on your dot shooting without setting any comparative goals, reflect on what it does to your process, and keep moving forward as an overall shooter. I've been on the dot since May and I am seriously upset with myself for not changing over earlier. What it offers over irons in various ways by far outweighs minimal loss of speed upclose on open targets for me, which the only aspect where irons still win. I say, just shoot the dot, don't worry about irons, and then one day run some drills with irons and be ready to get surprised.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    FWIW I’m both faster and more accurate with an RDS. I can outrun a 9mm 1911 with my Roland Special on a bill drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Given that a "self defense" shoot is likely to be sudden, unexpected, relatively close and very quick- no, I do not carry a RDS at this time.

Am I (much) more accurate with it? Yes.
    Is that worth the trade off of the slower 1st shot draw? Nope.

If and when I have comparable speed with RDS as with irons, I would gladly carry a gun equipped with one.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Given that a "self defense" shoot is likely to be sudden, unexpected, relatively close and very quick- no, I do not carry a RDS at this time.

Am I (much) more accurate with it? Yes.
    Is that worth the trade off of the slower 1st shot draw? Nope.

If and when I have comparable speed with RDS as with irons, I would gladly carry a gun equipped with one.
    I don’t remember what my first round times are, I’ll have to compare those this weekend. That being said, my biggest downfall when switching back to irons is the same reason why I love the dot - threat focusing. You have to be a disciplined mofo to maintain front sight focus in a violent encounter. I’m pretty confident that I’m fairly far from that skill.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t remember what my first round times are, I’ll have to compare those this weekend. That being said, my biggest downfall when switching back to irons is the same reason why I love the dot - threat focusing. You have to be a disciplined mofo to maintain front sight focus in a violent encounter. I’m pretty confident that I’m fairly far from that skill.

Good point Wake.

At contact to 3 yds.+ I find I don't really take time to find the FS, but see the top of slide in my lower peripheral vision as I focus on target(s).
    This is exceptionally fast and hits are always A/C's.

I realize there's no guarantee that a violent encounter will occur in this "Goldilocks zone", but statistically, it will.
    And no, I am not advocating "point shooting" or not using sights. Rather, I have found that this works for me, in limited situations.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Good point Wake.

At contact to 3 yds.+ I find I don't really take time to find the FS, but see the top of slide in my lower peripheral vision as I focus on target(s).
    This is exceptionally fast and hits are always A/C's.

I realize there's no guarantee that a violent encounter will occur in this "Goldilocks zone", but statistically, it will.
    And no, I am not advocating "point shooting" or not using sights. Rather, I have found that this works for me, in limited situations.
    No disagreement here.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm going back and forth between trying out a RDS or just sticking with my iron sights. All of the reasons everyone has stated for both sides keep going through my head. We will see what happens in the future but for now nothing but irons for me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast