Thread: Scope mount height vs travel

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Scope mount height vs travel

I have a sig tango 4 6-24 scope mounted in a Burris PEPR and when zeroed at 100 I can only get 18 moa of travel. The Burris centerline height is 1.6 and seems most others are 1.5. Does anyone know if moving to a different mount (1.5 height) give more travel? I want to be able to dial out to 700 yards without using holdovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You have 52 MOA of travel for the elevation on this scope. Normally you can count on a usable half of that to get a zero. So with the weapon, scope AND mount you ended up with a tad more for zero. I would go with an angled scope mount, I believe ADM makes the recon in a 20 MOA version. Check other scopes if interested, for instance the Vortex PST II will have 20 mils, 5 more than the Tango. Cheaper option is the mount.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Scope mount height vs travel

Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    You have 52 MOA of travel for the elevation on this scope. Normally you can count on a usable half of that to get a zero. So with the weapon, scope AND mount you ended up with a tad more for zero. I would go with an angled scope mount, I believe ADM makes the recon in a 20 MOA version. Check other scopes if interested, for instance the Vortex PST II will have 20 mils, 5 more than the Tango. Cheaper option is the mount.
    Never even considered a 20 moa base...mainly because I have an aero mount that’s a 1.5 centerline with a 1-6 scope sitting in it now and was thinking about switching them since I’d never dial the 1-6. But if I can’t gain travel by lowering the centerline, it looks like there are several 20 moa options out there. Since switching and re-zeroing is a pain, I’m hoping to find out if it’s even possible before trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJinPA; 02-27-19 at 06:00.

Feedback Score
    You could try to shim the PEPR before trying a different mount...

Feedback Score
    Low scope height can create other troubles. It will make your cheek closer to stock. I don't like any contact with my stock. As long as the parallax is out of the scope it doesn't matter. A lot of the 1000 yard BR guys have their scope up on high bases. I see some at 3 plus inches up. On heavy guns they have to be high enough to clear the barrel block. Another reason I like them high is heat from the barrel doesn't interfere as much.